Usb outlet with built-in switch, no parasitic draw

Anything electric, AC or DC

Usb outlet with built-in switch, no parasitic draw

Postby Graniterich » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:21 pm

Graniterich
Donating Member

Re: Usb outlet with built-in switch, no parasitic draw

Postby saltydawg » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:00 am

It is just a touch switch not a positive break switch. It will still have some draw.

The ones I put on my trailer dont have the light, and the draw is almost nothing when there is not some thing plugged in
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby flboy » Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:12 am

I am using those. I like them, but as said, they are not positive break. If you are concerned with the parasitic drains, just turn off your master 12vdc switch when stored.

Almost everything these days that has a remote, Bluetooth, etc will have some parasitic drain albeit very very small.

I keep my trailers outside and the solar panels keep the batteries charged, but if that was not the case, I'd just cut the power or keep a Battery Tender on it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:41 pm

* I'm using a different type of power-splitter in my X5, that plugs into the cigar lighter port, and gives me four 3.0 USB ports and furnishes three more spots where other, smaller splitters can plug in, if more USBs need power. It was the first accessory I put in my new-to-me X5, as it had no USB power ports in it (my other vehicles, and my trailer didn't either, but I put other USB power sources into each).

12vdc power-splitter that draws no appreciable power when off.jpg
12vdc power-splitter that draws no appreciable power when off.jpg (169.91 KiB) Viewed 584 times

* I wondered about parasitic draw, but the X5 has a feature where non-critical/unswitched circuits lose power after 16 minutes, and this device didn't either draw any or enough power to affect that power-down functionality. At first. Then the main switch (with the voltmeter) quit turning off. The voltmeter ran fulltime. The other switches still worked individually, but I had to unplug the main switch overnight, while my truck is on the battery charger/maintainer (all my vehicles have one connected). I guess it wouldn't have hurt to leave it plugged in 24/7, with the other switches off, but why did the main switch (the plug-in with voltmeter) lose the off position?

* Actually, the main switch still worked. It was a interfering power draw (from a high-draw electric cooling fan I installed, supplied thru a branched circuit), that was keeping the plug-in circuit alive. Once I found and eliminated the draw (by sourcing another, switched circuit) the unit worked as before, with the master switch able to switch on-off, without drawing power.

* I have no cigar-lighter-type ports in my trailer, but if I did, I'd use this device, since it gives a lot of versatility without running new wiring.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Graniterich » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:56 pm

saltydawg wrote:It is just a touch switch not a positive break switch. It will still have some draw.

The ones I put on my trailer dont have the light, and the draw is almost nothing when there is not some thing plugged in
You are correct, I miss spoke. I believe that all usb 12 volt outlets consume a very small amount of current, single digit milliamps. Most have that stupid led always on. This saves me a switch.
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:37 am

I use these since they don't have a blue light --which would probably drive me nuts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJW3ZRP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't recall what the parasitic draw is but I know it's less than the ones with lights that I have tested.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:10 am

tony.latham wrote:I use these since they don't have a blue light --which would probably drive me nuts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJW3ZRP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't recall what the parasitic draw is but I know it's less than the ones with lights that I have tested.

Tony
I need to get some of these coming. That blue light will burn a hole in your soul at 2am.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:42 am

tony.latham wrote:I use these since they don't have a blue light --which would probably drive me nuts.

Tony

I don't like those because the ones I tested, that look like that though they may in fact be entirely different, create noise on my AM radio. Haven't yet actually used an AM radio in camp, but just in case! :lol:

Instead I used the type that are rectangular and take regular outlet plates. (Bottom left in 1st photo) I did a little rocket surgery to snip a lead to the green LEDs.

153425 152991

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:59 pm

We traded out our old style cigar outlets for ones just like you posted, only red. We are very happy with them. No noticeable parasitic draw.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets