Can I daisy chain on a 12V system??

Anything electric, AC or DC

Can I daisy chain on a 12V system??

Postby TearDropDrippin » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:59 pm

Hello all, I am almost wrapped up with wiring my trailer. I’m wondering if I can daisy chain on a 12V system or if everything needs its own designated circuit? I have a 100AH battery to a 20A charge controller. Of the fuse block I have mostly individual circuits ran for LED lights and a vent fan. I have two more runs I want to add one for a water pump and another for one of those charging panels with a ON/OFF switch, USBs and 12V outlet. My question is should these be on their own circuits or can I tap into the LED?

Thanks in advance
TearDropDrippin
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Can I daisy chain on a 12V system??

Postby tony.latham » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:55 pm

As long as the total amp load doesn't exceed the wire size for that circuit you're fine.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TearDropDrippin » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:03 am

Thank you Tony! I ran all 14AWG so in my research I can run up to 15AMPS. Correct?
It also appears that both the water pump and usb control plate draw under 5AMPS each, so I should not have any issues connecting them in line with the LED strips.
TearDropDrippin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:10 am

TearDropDrippin wrote:Thank you Tony! I ran all 14AWG so in my research I can run up to 15AMPS. Correct?
It also appears that both the water pump and usb control plate draw under 5AMPS each, so I should not have any issues connecting them in line with the LED strips.

Even though the total amperage is probably ok, I would probably run the pump on a dedicated circuit. The actions of the pump cycling might cause some interference for the LEDs and USB controller.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:02 am

I ran all 14AWG so in my research I can run up to 15AMPS. Correct?

In theory, but the length of the run with DC is also a factor. And So-Cal Tom may have a point with your water pump. Those things are unknown to me. I've have six DC circuits in my teardrop and some are piggybacked. All are 14 AWG runs and they are protected with 7.5 amp fuses to be on the conservative side. I've never blown a fuse.

You mention "USB control ports" using 5 amps. I'm not sure what you mean by that but if you are talking about USB outlets, they consume around .5 -.9 amps while in use. (Depending on whether they are 2.0 or 3.0.)

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:51 am

I keep it simple, a circuit for each, the pump, usb/12 volt, radio, fans.

That way there is no issue for flickering lights, or usb not working right.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby TearDropDrippin » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:05 am

Thank you everybody, the responses were very helpful. I think I’m going to re configure a bit. I am going to piggyback my LED strips and put the more complicated loads on their own dedicated runs. I should have able to do all this with minimal work and not much more wire. Also thank you Tony for the fuse tip. That was my next question. Can somebody direct me to a thread on fuses if there is a good one in here?
TearDropDrippin
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets