Use AC shore connection for solar?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Use AC shore connection for solar?

Postby DairylandOverland » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:40 pm

I have a Road Toad teardrop with the outlet package... so I have a shore AC connection on the outside, and some AC and 12v outlets on the inside. The AC and DC wiring is separate (shore does not power the 12v outlets, lights, or fan). When boondocking, I'll be using a Bluetti solar generator for 12v, with a 100w solar panel.

Now, I could run the solar panel wires into the galley hatch, but I worry about long term effects on the wires and galley seal. So I had a crazy idea: cut a short extension cord in half. Wire the female half to some kind of solar connection, probably SAE. Wire the male half to an 8mm plug to connect to the Bluetti. Then I could use the existing shore input for solar!

Assuming I get the polarity right, is there any reason this wouldn't work?
DairylandOverland
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Use AC shore connection for solar?

Postby rjgimp » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:05 am

I'd probably be a bit skittish about getting zapped. :frightened:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby edgeau » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:26 am

Are you going to disconnect the internal AC wiring and connect the socket to DC?

The thing could work as long as you are always the one hooking it up but as soon as someone else comes along it will go wrong : probably dangerously so. I see DC stuff being fried by AC helpfully plugged in for you and it gets worse from there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
edgeau
500 Club

Postby GTS225 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:46 am

DO NOT haphazardly modify your 12 volt wiring with some makeshift interconnection to 120VAC.

Get a 12vdc power supply to plug into your 120 outlet, and correctly wire the power supply output(s) into your 12vdc wiring.
When running on solar, simply unplug the power supply from the outlet.

Anything else, you run the risk of feeding a solar panel, or other 12vdc equipment a 120VAC charge.

Remember; You, yourself called it a "crazy idea".

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby DairylandOverland » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:20 am

GTS225 wrote:DO NOT haphazardly modify your 12 volt wiring with some makeshift interconnection to 120VAC.

Get a 12vdc power supply to plug into your 120 outlet, and correctly wire the power supply output(s) into your 12vdc wiring.
When running on solar, simply unplug the power supply from the outlet.

Anything else, you run the risk of feeding a solar panel, or other 12vdc equipment a 120VAC charge.

Remember; You, yourself called it a "crazy idea".

Roger

12v power would be coming only from the Bluetti. I'm not looking to connect the AC and DC systems, just using the shore AC connection as a solar pass-thru. Since there's only one shore connection, there would be no risk of fleeting ac power into the solar panel.
DairylandOverland
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DairylandOverland » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:23 am

edgeau wrote:Are you going to disconnect the internal AC wiring and connect the socket to DC?

The thing could work as long as you are always the one hooking it up but as soon as someone else comes along it will go wrong : probably dangerously so. I see DC stuff being fried by AC helpfully plugged in for you and it gets worse from there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

That's an excellent point... I would know which wire to use, but if someone else uses the wrong one, Bluetti goes boom.
DairylandOverland
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:09 pm

Frankly, that sounds goofy.

Just install a Zamp connector on the outside of your cabin and run the wires to the battery.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:35 pm

I'm with the rest of the guys, I would not be dual purposing the AC connection.
It would need some sort of changeover switch, which adds an unnecessary complication.
If it is manual, it relies as people have pointed out, on the user knowing what they are doing.
The potential (no pun intended) for AC voltage to appear at a DC terminal somewhere is just too high.
Use the plug/socket arrangement Tony recommends.
Alternative over here in Oz would be Anderson style connectors that can be had for as little as $2 Australian each.
Extremely common connectors here. High current carrying ability and robust as all heck.
In fact, when you buy one of those folding portable solar cell setups, you can pretty much guarantee it will use them for all the connectivity.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:52 pm

Bad idea, don't do it.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby DairylandOverland » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:00 pm

tony.latham wrote:Frankly, that sounds goofy.

Just install a Zamp connector on the outside of your cabin and run the wires to the battery.

Tony

I wanted to avoid adding holes to the trailer, but you're right.

Thanks to all for the input!
DairylandOverland
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:16 pm

DairylandOverland wrote:
tony.latham wrote:Frankly, that sounds goofy.

Tony

I wanted to avoid adding holes to the trailer, but you're right.

Thanks to all for the input!

Lots of folks don't have, or want, AC in their tear. If you happen not to want it, you might take out the plug on the outside and replace it with a Zamp (or other) solar connector and replace one of the outlets on the inside with something to connect to your battery.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:41 am

I wanted to avoid adding holes...

Me too. But I sealed the fresh cut with epoxy before installing the Zamp and added a bit of sealant behind it when I did.

I use mine for hooking a battery charger to it in the winter. That's what that (Noco) adapter in my hand is all about.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DairylandOverland » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:22 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Lots of folks don't have, or want, AC in their tear. If you happen not to want it, you might take out the plug on the outside and replace it with a Zamp (or other) solar connector and replace one of the outlets on the inside with something to connect to your battery.
Tom

Unfortunately I don't have a/c ports. I wanted them to possibly add a diesel or propex heater later on, but their supplier that makes the ports went kaput. So that'll be a problem for another time.
DairylandOverland
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:27 pm

Unfortunately I don't have a/c ports. I wanted them to possibly add a diesel or propex heater later on, but their supplier that makes the ports went kaput.

Both use DC, not AC. What ports are you talking about?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:25 am

DairylandOverland wrote:12v power would be coming only from the Bluetti. I'm not looking to connect the AC and DC systems, just using the shore AC connection as a solar pass-thru. Since there's only one shore connection, there would be no risk of fleeting ac power into the solar panel.

Oh....OK. I misinterpreted your first post. You want to use A/C style plugs or receptacles to pass DC power.

Nope, not a good idea, as has already been discussed. Too easy for someone, (not you), to plug in an A/C shore power cord, and fry your equipment.

Would it work? Sure, would work great, if it was you, and only you, ever, that hooked things up. Sometime, somewhere, maybe after you're gone, someone is going to have to hook it up, and they won't know what you know about the situation.

Just my 2-pence.....Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets