Blinker activating trailer brakes and hot hub

Anything electric, AC or DC

Blinker activating trailer brakes and hot hub

Postby XR-duous » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:35 pm

Just went on a trip and had some weird things happen. The first thing we noticed was that the right blinker would pulse the brakes on the trailer. Then I noticed that I had the drivers hub and wheel getting really hot. I unhooked the brakes for the ride home and that hub was fine, so the brake had to be partially engaged on that side the whole time. Lastly, we we arrived, I saw the right brake light randomly blinking while connected with the truck off. I inspected all the wires back to the brakes, but didn't see any issues, breaks, or rubs. What should I be looking for here? A corroded connector? Ground? Oh, and when the blinker and brake would blinker, the controller would flash n.c. indicated the trailer wasn't connected. Brakes and trailer lights all worked fine otherwise.

Thanks
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Blinker activating trailer brakes and hot hub

Postby twisted lines » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:37 pm

Seperate the two and find out if your TV is sending the blinker Signal.
Turn flashers on check the (blue) wire should not signal test light, or brakes if plugged in.
One tiny strand on the end of the wire loose and contacting the wrong terminal, in either plug; could cause this.
Bad Ground plausible, crazy stuff happens with a ground,
Sounds more like a short.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:29 am

Get a schematic of the pin out and verify your vehicle is wired properly. Then the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby XR-duous » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. The truck and trailer worked properly before, so both should be wired correctly. This is a new and random issue. I'll pull that trailer harness and make sure there aren't any little wires fraying and go from there. Like I said, the wire under the trailer seemed OK upon initial inspection. Curious why it was also causing it to drag the brake on the driver's side only, in addition to the blinker issue.
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby swoody126 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:34 pm

a quick check can usually be done with a lighted plug plug'd into the TV

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005

$20± and you can watch what is coming from the TV

what i am reading in the OP says there is a stray wire filament in the system somewhere

i got that kind of issues when meece crawled up in the tongue of my boat trailer and nibbled on the wires just enuff to bare 2 wires so a stray wire hair from one wire could interact with a bare section of a neighboring wire

otherwise a ground gremlin(or 3) could generate similar issues

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:57 pm

XR-duous wrote: Curious why it was also causing it to drag the brake on the driver's side only, in addition to the blinker issue.

That is another problem!
One wire back then splits to both side's!
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby XR-duous » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:06 pm

Ok, so I did find literally one single strand of wire that had strayed from the brake wire to the rh blinker in the connector itself. I hooked back up the brakes where I had disconnected it and now the brakes don't work at all. Lights and blinkers all work..the connector on the truck checks out good. I'm getting power back to the hub, but nothing. Could the magnets have burned up or something? They were replaced last year and look good visually. The other odd thing, usually when I turn the key on in the truck, the controller will read n.c. meaning the trailer isn't connected. Now it just has 2 dots and doesn't seem to change when I turn on and off the key. When I manually compress it, it says n.c.. Manually compressing it was how I would test to see if I was getting power at the hub,btw. Not sure how to proceed.
XR-duous
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Socal Tom » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:41 pm

9 out of 10 times, weird electrical stuff is due to a bad ground.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:36 pm

Confirm Brakes on trailer put Power & Ground to the trailer plug correct terminals, or power individual brakes one at a time,by cutting and powering one; & a existing ground if it wont work, try a known ground and power (battery) each side Listen should make a distinct noise.
The side that drug may need adjusted if you find your problem, Trailers that pull to one side suck as bad as one that pulses with tail - turn signals; lights :roll:
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets