"grounding" question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: "grounding" question

Postby joelwookiee » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:59 am

OK, so what about the AC Ground (green) for shore power? (not using an inverter, only will have AC when plugged into shore)
Should that also ground to the trailer chassis, or just back through the ground wire of the shore power. I am planning on using only GFI outlets, by the way.
I have been warned that ground on shore power may not be grounded... but neither is a chassis sitting on rubber tires.
joelwookiee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:45 am

joelwookiee wrote:OK, so what about the AC Ground (green) for shore power? (not using an inverter, only will have AC when plugged into shore)
Should that also ground to the trailer chassis, or just back through the ground wire of the shore power. I am planning on using only GFI outlets, by the way.
I have been warned that ground on shore power may not be grounded... but neither is a chassis sitting on rubber tires.

Yes, the chassis should be tied to the green wire shore power ground. The ground wire on the shore power should be grounded at the pedestal. That's code, and if it's not, something is wrong with the campsite's shore power system. We always carry one of those devices with three lights to check the connections are good before we tie in.

The reason for grounding your chassis is that if something is wrong and the line is touching the chassis, the current has a grounded path (besides one through a person). The neutral wire, on the other hand, should not tie to the ground anywhere on your trailer for shore power connections.

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re:

Postby rjgimp » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:57 pm

John61CT wrote:None if this has anything to do with AC. IMO the charger should be the only item plugged into shore power, all AC devices run off the House bank via inverters.

So... you plug into a 120VAC source, convert that AC current into 12VDC to charge your battery bank, then invert 12 VDC current BACK INTO 120VAC current to operate a 120VAC appliance...?

Why would you do that?
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:26 pm

GREMLIN ALLERT ::::I am sorry but all dc circuits need a dedicated positive and a dedicated negative connection. I chase ground faults on a harbor freight trailer until I decided to add a small band clamp to the barrel of the tail lights and add a ground. The tow vehicle should also have a dedicated ground from the tow frame to the trailer. The ball connection is un reliable ! :::Just my two cents worth
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby pchast » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:45 pm

:thumbsup: I 've seen that as a problem
on a few different trailers too.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:36 pm

I chase ground faults on a harbor freight trailer...

I think the poster is asking about the cabin circuits and you're talking about the trailer light circuits, eh Bob?

I need coffee too. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets