SolarEntry Gland Questions

Anything electric, AC or DC

SolarEntry Gland Questions

Postby Capebuild » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:55 am

I've got a few questions regarding the entry gland and solar wiring:

1) The solar wires that exit my roof are probably a bit short in length to reach the panels (once I get them installed). Is there a way to extend their length.... like maybe using an MC4 connector to add a spliced wire...... is that an okay way to lengthen the cables?

2) Is using butyl tape the best way to seal the gland to the aluminum surface? I'd be interested to hear how other's have done it.

3) I imagine most of these entry glands are kind of the same.... but are there recommendations of a certain brand?

Thanks very much.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: SolarEntry Gland Questions

Postby tony.latham » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:03 am

I had to splice one of my cables aft of the gland. Solder and heat shrink. There was no need to throw an MC4 in the mix.

I used Lexel to seal. No issues. I think butyl tape needs a bit of pressure on it to get a proper seal.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:22 am

I can tell you how I did it and it has been working out well so far.

1) I did extend Solar panel cables using MC4 connectors and additional wires as needed on my 6x12 build. Used 2 to 1 MC4 connectors as needed on the roof side and only ran 2 wires through the gland.. The 2 wires I bought at the length needed also had MC4 connectors and mated on the 2 to 1 connectors. The 6x12 build just has qty 2 210 watt panels that are side by side. Very easy.

On my 7x18 build I just cut off MC4 connectors and extended (spliced) wires as needed to a junction box before I went through the roof with 2 wires, but I have 8 panels on that build over a much larger area.

2) I used butyl tape to seal , but then I used self leveling Dicor over the screws and seams as a top seal. I do that on any roof top gland, vent, or etc..

3) I don't know about the brands. I think I used a Camco brand and they have been good so far. They all seem similar. Just have to get the type you want. If possible, mount so the entry point on the gland faces the rear of the camper such that driving wind isn't trying to force water down the entry point.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:33 am

Thanks Tony and flboy for your thoughts.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:27 pm

I just finished the scary job of drilling a 1" hole in the new van roof for the PV wires to enter. I have two different arrays on the roof with 4 wires coming in and I didn't like most of the entry glands on Amazon. I found this at a van parts site:
Solar Entry Puck

Super easy to install, screws in securely and best of all, no leaks (so far). It even includes the calk for around the cables.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets