12volt and 110

Anything electric, AC or DC

12volt and 110

Postby mikevet » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:36 pm

My plan is to be off grid as much as possible. I plan on getting one 24 volt 200 amp lithium battery. My plan was to hook up solar and also charge from truck, solar and 110 charger.

My idea was to use a converter and an inverter to use the battery to power everything as 12 volt. The only 110 volt items would be tv, small occasional appliance the I would use the inverter for. . My question is, if shore power is available can I still just run off the battery and just use a 110 volt charger to keep the battery charging while using the battery for all my 110 and 12 volt needs? To me it would allow allow me to run less wires over all. Ideas? Thoughts?
mikevet
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 12volt and 110

Postby tony.latham » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:21 pm

Yes, you can just run a charger from 120-volt power. I use this Zamp connector with a NOCO adapter and a NOCO charger to keep the battery up in the winter.

But I'm scratching my head on your 24-volt battery. Do they make such a box? That may be a problem finding a charger for that voltage. They are (almost?) all 12 volt and 6 volt.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:50 am

Mike, I have the same doubts as Tony on the 24v battery, but I digress.
I suggest you go with a 12v battery, (or batteries), as if you have an issue in some remote place, will you be able to score another charger, or battery, or convertor in some little, 3,000 population burg near your campsite?

Just sayin'.....Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby Pmullen503 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:48 pm

mikevet wrote: My question is, if shore power is available can I still just run off the battery and just use a 110 volt charger to keep the battery charging while using the battery for all my 110 and 12 volt needs? To me it would allow allow me to run less wires over all. Ideas? Thoughts?

It depends on your charger. Typical "dumb" lead acid chargers when used as described will max their output current trying to supply the load. And that means the charger will run hot which is bad for the charger. Most lithium chargers limit their charge current to protect their circuitry and the battery. However, using them the way you describe may mess with their balancing operation.

A better way would be to only use the charger when the loads are zero or tiny. Alternately, have two batteries with proper isolating/selector switches and use one battery for loads while the other charges. But you have to be VERY careful to not switch the batteries to parallel output useless they are BOTH at the same charge/voltage. You'll get a surge of current from the higher charged battery to the discharged battery. That current is unbalanced so if the cells' IR doesn't match you can have problems. If you go that route, be sure to fuse the battery leads.

It would be safer to have switches to select between shore and onboard power for loads, isolating the battery when on shore power. That might mean an extra transformer to run your 12V system when on shore power.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikevet » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:18 pm

24 volt system from what i gather is better because you can run smaller cables. its actually cheaper to run a 24 volt system rather than a 12 volt system. i would worry about isolating a 12 volt system as describe3d because they have to stay balanced. from what i have learned about lithium batteries that hooked in parallel, you must charge them seperatly and get the voltage to match among all the batteries before hooking them up initially in your system. otherwise it shortens the life of the battery. i like the isolator idea btu i would be worried about unbalancing them .

im going to find the videos of a guy who does videos on these topics. very informative.
mikevet
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikevet » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:15 pm

12 vs 24 voly system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi7eswWwosk

24 volt set up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLgGGB_McW0

check out this guys channel. he takes lithiums apart and reviews batteries from the inside out and discusses a lot baout solar systems. lots of good information. smart guy
mikevet
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:54 pm

check out this guys channel.

I follow his channel. Will is arguing that you'll save money on wire and lugs and perhaps some other advantages. It sure increases complexity. But I think you've made a decision.

Keep us posted on your build. It's always good to see different things.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:00 pm

That's what I'm planning but 12V and using a NOCO Genius smart charger which can charge lead, AMG and lithium.
With LEDs you should have plenty of power to run a couple/few lights into the wee hours of the morning w/o running you batteries flat.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets