Power help

Anything electric, AC or DC

Power help

Postby snowdawg91 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:42 am

I have an enclosed trailer we use as a toy hauler. We have 50 amp power when camping. I am trying to figure out how to keep the mini fridge running while towing. I have a 7 pin harness. What is the simplest and cheapest way to keep the fridge running? Thanks
snowdawg91
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Power help

Postby GTS225 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:19 am

Is the mini fridge 120VAC, or 12vdc, and where is it typically carried?

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby snowdawg91 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:22 am

GTS225 wrote:Is the mini fridge 120VAC, or 12vdc, and where is it typically carried?

Roger

It is 120vac and the fridge is in the V-nose.
snowdawg91
Teardrop Inspector

Postby philpom » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:10 pm

A cheap Harbor freight 400 watt inverter and fully charged marine battery from Wally World would probably do it but check the cycle/watt requirements for the mini fridge. Once you get to camp put it on a charger for the trip back home. I don't think you will be able to pull that much juice from the hitch connector to run the inverter. You could probably buy some 8 AWG wire and run it directly from your truck battery back to the trailer but that might cost as much as a battery.

Good luck, let us know what you ended up doing.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby GTS225 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:32 am

Phil's right. You need to do some math, with finding the wattage rating of the fridge first. If the specifications sticker doesn't list it, but does offer volts and amps, watts is the product of volts multiplied by amps. You would then need a 12 volt source that could supply at least that many watts, in order to install an inverter rated that same way.

ARBITRARY example------120vac times 8 amps = 960 watts. You'll need not less than a 1000 watt inverter, with battery that can supply 1000 watts of 12vdc power. That's 83.3 amps draw on that battery. (Only while the compressor of the fridge is running. Once it's down to temp, it's just a circulating fan that draws power.)
Harbor Freight sells low-cost inverters that would do the job, but a decent battery can get spendy. (Close to $200.) I would recommend an AGM type RV battery.

How long is your trips, that you'd have to run the fridge independently for? A 100 amp-hour battery will tolerate 100 amps for 1 hour, as a baseline comparison.

Something else you could plan for is solar battery recharging. A 100 watt (or larger) panel mounted on the roof, wired to a suitable charge controller will recharge that battery during the day, or at least extend the times between having to recharge it. You could build a small cabinet right under the fridge to house the battery, inverter, and charge controller for a stand-alone system.

Your other choice is running a LARGE, fused wire from your tow vehicle battery, out to your rear bumper, to supply power for the inverter for the fridge. Large as in about 6 gauge, (rated at 65 amps). Too big to go through that 7-pin connector.
Another option might be to mount the inverter under the hood, and run the 120vac wires out to the rear bumpr so you can connect it to the trailer. Simple, cheap, and dirty?.....yes. (Not recommended due to dangers of connection and wire abrasion.) You would also run the risk of forgetting to unplug it at the campsite, drain your tow vehicle battery, and find yourself temporarily stranded.

No matter what, you're going to have to drop a couple hundred on an inverter large enough for the fridge, unless you can find a deal on Marketplace or at a local pawn shop.

Let's find out the demands of the fridge, first.

Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby philpom » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:33 am

I found this information for you, be sure to check your specific model but sounds like a $40 inverter and affordable marine battery will do the trick for a pretty long drive. The fridge is only technically running for about 20 minutes each hour.

How much power does a mini fridge use?
Depending on the model and the size, a mini fridge uses between 60 and 80 Watts when it’s running, and about 200 Watts when it’s starting (for a couple of seconds).

However, older mini fridges may require more power to run.

Just like other types of refrigerators, a mini fridge’s wattage is usually mentioned on its specification label.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby Gulfcoast » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:30 am

Just buy a Bluetti EB70S power station... plug the ref in and you're done.

Charge it with 120v wall power, solar or from the auto while you travel.

I do love mine.

https://www.amazon.com/BLUETTI-Portable ... 02ea287e63
6x12 cargo trailer - Mini Split A/C - Starlink - TMobile home internet
Gulfcoast
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets