Solar, DC to DC, and lifepo4 sanity check.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Solar, DC to DC, and lifepo4 sanity check.

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:55 pm

Working on finalizing my build out, so here is what I have so far, and the configuration I am thinking whether or not it is right I don't know for sure...

My current camper is a semi, admittedly very little foamie truck cap camper (Foamie in the cabinets but very little as of right now...). It is still a very tiny camper so it kind of fits here...

My truck is fitted with a 220 amp high output alternator, and wired back to the camper with Anderson connector so I can disconnect, take the camper off and use the truck bed.
My Solar input is a pair of 300w Dokio folding portable panels. They output to SAE connectors, and I go into 8ga SAE Y cable allowing them both to be connected, and then into the truck with an 8ga SAE bulkhead pass through, cabled to where it gets soldered to the feed wires into the controller described later.
DC to DC Anderson connector is more 8ga wire, soldered into the original wire leads from...

Now I can explain this. AtemPower 40 amp solar charge controller + DC to DC charger.

Output from this charging circuit, and output to the use circuits goes into a pair of Chins 200 amp hour lifepo4 batteries wired in parallel to achieve 400 amp hours.

And wiring should be along the lines of this...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06YgzmncSgQ&ab_channel=AmpedOutdoors[/youtube]

Now output of the AtemPower factory wiring is 10awg. For 40 amps. Not sure that is a great idea. However distance is negligible at worst, and it IS within the parameters of the wire for the distances we are talking about...

I can leave the solar disconnected, and provide the DC to DC charging circuit with a breaker to prevent charging sub freezing should I be stupid and allow the batteries to get too cold...

The frequency of being sub freezing will not be high, but it is a non zero number for sure. I am considering adding a switched warming pad for the batteries to keep the above freezing. Just need to insure the switch lights up so I don't accidentally leave it on in storage...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets