Renogy Rover 20A Controller

Anything electric, AC or DC

Renogy Rover 20A Controller

Postby MickinOz » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:00 pm

I have a Renogy Rover 20A PG (Positive Ground) MPPT controller.
I have been using it simply as a load controller and battery monitor for a couple of years, but I finally installed my 250W solar panel.
I can't remember the panel voltage off-hand, except to say it is somewhere in the 30 volt range, but well below the maximum input voltage of the controller.
So, trying to keep things simple, I have hardwired the panel to the controller with the tough as nails 4 square mm (11G ?) cable used in house solar systems.
It is tough, even stripping the ends of the cables is an exercise.
This connection method is in line with the DIY kits that Renogy sells.
The battery is connected via a fuse and isolating switch.
Here's the thing: when I put my trailer in the shed after a trip, I want to turn off the system with the battery isolator as I have been. The controller has a fairly high standby power consumption of the order of 100mA.

BUT, the Renogy manuals for all their charge controllers say never connect the solar panel unless the battery is already connected.
To comply, you'd need a switch in the solar supply side, so you could switch off the solar before isolating the battery. Then switch the battery back on before switching on the solar.
I really don't want to put an isolator in the panel side, due to space and access issues. I'd still have to remember to operate it in the correct order.

It is a little bit confusing - for example the Voyager charge controller manual says "never connect the panel array before connecting the battery". However, in their 200W "suitcase" portable system, the voyager controller is affixed to the back of the panel, is hardwired to the panels, and you just unfold the panels and connect to the battery.
So calling all Renogy owners, do you bother with this, or do you just turn your systems off at the battery whenever you feel like it?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Re: Renogy Rover 20A Controller

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:26 pm

So calling all Renogy owners, do you bother with this...

I have a mechanical breaker between my 100-watt panel and the Renogy controller. I use it to turn the juice off for this issue.

But a fella could also throw a blanket over the panel, I reckon. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Renogy Rover 20A Controller

Postby MickinOz » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:48 pm

tony.latham wrote:
So calling all Renogy owners, do you bother with this...

But a fella could also throw a blanket over the panel, I reckon. :frightened:

Tony

Now that is the sort of low-tech solution that floats my boat.
But I'll prolly find a breaker.
I vaguely remember a 10 amp DC circuit breaker in my stash of "stuff that'll come in handy one day".
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Return to Electrical Secrets