Single post lug

Anything electric, AC or DC

Single post lug

Postby Wrecit » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:42 pm

When ever I think an item will be easy to find no one locally has it so here’s my latest adventure/fabrication.

Call me crazy but I have chosen to run negitive wires back to source rather than doing the standard lug off to nearest frame member for my 12v. I am using one of those fancy switch panels from Amazon which is set up with positive wire out of each switch but only a single negitive for the entire panel. Rather than do some monster wire nut twist or some other mass connection for my negative lines I wanted to use one of those fancy nice looking wall mounted lugs. Well none of the auto parts stores had one and Amazon would be a 3 day wait……what to do?

A quick trip to ace hardware for a brass bolt, nut, and 2 washers and an old scrap piece of 1/4 lexan later and all my negitives are nice and neat.

Cut 2 piece of lexan 2 inch by 3 inch. Drilled hole the size of brass bolt in center of 1 piece and counter sunk the hole. Next drilled 2 holes in the 2 pieces of pecan sandwich together for mounting holes. Put bolt through then sandwiched together and mounted to plywood wall in electric cabinet. Washer, ring terminal ends on wire then second wire followed by second washer and nut and everything works perfect.

Total cost $1.63
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Re: Single post lug

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:01 pm

Sounds like a neat solution. :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:16 pm

Call me crazy...

Is this for the chassis or the cabin?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:46 pm

Be careful what chemicals that polycarbonate gets exposed to. Certain things cause rapid embrittlement and internal stress that results in substantial cracking.
Exposure to a few things, like acetone or anaerobic sealants/adhesives, can result in complete failure (shattered shards) of a polycarbonate panel in just a few hours. Minimize exposure to everything, but especially acetone, thread locking compounds, and other anaerobics.

Or, you can get one of the Jegs branded GM style terminal blocks on its way to you, while using the home made one as a temporary solution.
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10521/10002/-1
I suggest GM style, because it sounds like that is what you built, and the GM style are the most common for automotive and RV aftermarket replacement (outside of motorsport).
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby Wrecit » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:33 pm

Squigie that $9 Jeg is nice but is $24 when you add in shipping. No real concern of getting any solvents or pain on my lug since it’s mounted inside the “electric closet” inside my trailer mounted to the plywood wall (the “closet” is a whole 19 inch tall and 10 inch deep lol”

The lug is for all my interior 12v needs (ceiling lights, under cabinet lights, max air, and 2 “C” phone chargers)
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets