Replacement solar panel

Anything electric, AC or DC

Replacement solar panel

Postby tobstoy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:11 pm

Hello all
Teardrop newbie with a solar question. We bought a used Hero Ranger that, unfortunately, appears to have a dead solar panel. The Epever isn't showing anything coming in and when we tested the leads coming out of the panel we got nothing on the volt meter (see pics attached). So, we're ready to buy a new panel but know NOTHING about this. I've done some reading but still don't really understand the basics and don't want to 1) buy the wrong thing, 2) have the potential for a fire hazard because we don't know what we're doing, and 3) are we right sizing for our needs. There is a US dealer but he doesn't have much solar experience so I'm coming to y'all for help. For context, we live in Flagstaff, AZ so we experience both crazy hot (over 110) and freezing with snow (we had over 13 feet of snow last season :snow ).
Here's the specs:
2020 Hero Ranger teardrop (made in Denmark)
100 w solar panel mounted to the front
Epever Tracer 3210AN controller
GACELL 12V 80aph AGM deep cycle battery
Air conditioner (unknown make/model)
TBD heating solution (electric or propane)

We're thinking about buying the Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel https://www.renogy.com/100-watt-12-volt ... lar-panel/
Our questions: 1) is compatible with our controller, 2) is it plug and play or will we need to do some wiring, 3) will this provide enough power for either the AC or heater (if we find an electric solution), 4) do we need to rethink our battery (it seems to hold a good charge) and 5) did we forget anything?

So happy to have found this forum. From the posts I've read so far, everyone seems to be supportive and provide thoughtful and useful advice. Can't wait to get out and do some boondocking!
Cheers :beer: ,
Heather Starre
Attachments
Solar Leads.jpg
Solar Leads.jpg (54.67 KiB) Viewed 387 times
Solar Wire harness.jpg
Solar Wire harness.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 387 times
Solar Panel.jpg
Solar Panel.jpg (35.65 KiB) Viewed 387 times
Heather
Hero Ranger teardrop
tobstoy
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Replacement solar panel

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:39 pm

Our questions: 1) is compatible with our controller

Since the controller was originally mated with another 100-watt panel, then yes. A 100-watt panel will produce about 8 amps at peak. There's probably an online manual you can find.

2) is it plug and play or will we need to do some wiring,

Well, yes and no. You just need to run the two cables to your controller like the dead panel. But... you'll have to figure out how to run them. Here's my Renogy 100-watt panel:

And by the way, I like the panel; I think it's four years old.

3) will this provide enough power for either the AC or heater (if we find an electric solution)

No. You can't run the AC from your battery. Your teardrop was never meant for that to happen. Powering an air conditioner from a battery system is doable but takes a much bigger system. Hundreds of usable amps of battery and several hundred watts of solar to recharge. I'm sure your AC was meant to run with shore power or a generator.

Running a heater is the same issue. Your 80-amp AGM only has 40 usable amps, and an electric heater will eat into that quickly.

3) are we right sizing for our needs.

Well... yes, as long as you don't try to run a heater and the AC. I don't mean to be the bad-news courier.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tobstoy » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:15 pm

Tony-
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not surprised by the inability to run the AC/heater on the battery - was just hoping. :)

I do have another question for you relating to the wiring component. In the solar wire harness pic, the two wires are soldered into the square housing. We can unsolder them and will have wires with no ends. These are not quick connect ends. Do we need to do something with these to be able to connect them to the new solar panel?

Appreciate the support!
Heather
Heather
Hero Ranger teardrop
tobstoy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:27 pm

Do we need to do something with these to be able to connect them to the new solar panel?

I doubt you can solder the new cables there and make it work. I think you'll just have to run the cables from the new panel to the controller.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:59 pm

tobstoy wrote:I do have another question for you relating to the wiring component. In the solar wire harness pic, the two wires are soldered into the square housing. We can unsolder them and will have wires with no ends. These are not quick connect ends. Do we need to do something with these to be able to connect them to the new solar panel?

Get an MC4 connector crimp kit from Amazon and you can easily add the ends you need to the bare cables.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets