Are all propane bottles the same?

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Are all propane bottles the same?

Postby Redline » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:11 pm

Hey, I know, these newbies think of the goofiest questions...
But I was buying some 1-pound propane bottles the other day and noticed that the off-brands (at Farm & Fleet) were less expensive than the same size Coleman-brand bottles. Do the cheaper brands perform as well as Coleman?
Many thanks for your help, and many thanks for putting up with my stupid questions! (I am trying to do this camping stuff right...) :thinking:
Redline
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:22 pm

All the 1 # bottles should hold the same amount of propane. So the only differences should be control of manufacturing costs. Obviously stuff made in China is going to be cheaper.

1 pounders are not refillable... so I would probably buy the cheapest I could find.

On another note... I've seen some really cool looking, light weight fiberglass bottles if you are in the market for a 20 pounder.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:51 pm

Nice but, One Hundred Twenty-one dollar$ is quite $teep for a 20# propane tank. :shock: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby asianflava » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:09 pm

One thing that I've noticed with cheapies. The valve doesn't always shut off the gas when you disconnect them from the stove, lantern, etc. I have to just leave them attached.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:14 pm

asianflava wrote:One thing that I've noticed with cheapies. The valve doesn't always shut off the gas when you disconnect them from the stove, lantern, etc. I have to just leave them attached.

If you are referring to the 1# cylinders, I'll agree. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby mikeschn » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:36 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Nice but, One Hundred Twenty-one dollar$ is quite $teep for a 20# propane tank. :shock: Danny

Even our local hardware store, which is considered expensive, sells them for $79.

But look at the bright side. You'll always know how much propane you have left, just by looking at the bottle! :)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:51 pm

mikeschn wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:Nice but, One Hundred Twenty-one dollar$ is quite $teep for a 20# propane tank. :shock: Danny

Even our local hardware store, which is considered expensive, sells them for $79.

But look at the bright side. You'll always know how much propane you have left, just by looking at the bottle! :)

Mike...

Now that is more in line price wise since there are added benefits over the steel. Haven't seen any locally here though. Would consider getting one in something smaller like 5 or 10 lbs. :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:06 pm

mikeschn wrote:All the 1 # bottles should hold the same amount of propane. So the only differences should be control of manufacturing costs. Obviously stuff made in China is going to be cheaper.

1 pounders are not refillable... so I would probably buy the cheapest I could find.

On another note... I've seen some really cool looking, light weight fiberglass bottles if you are in the market for a 20 pounder.

Mike...

Test Video of The Clear Tank
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:52 am

Last edited by sdtripper2 on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby madjack » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:05 am

Steve, it is actually not legal to refill(and transport) the 1# bottles but who is gonna know!!!!!!!!!!................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:14 am

With the way some 1 # tanks leak It's not worth the risk to refill and transport anywhere. IMHO :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby asianflava » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:31 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:With the way some 1 # tanks leak It's not worth the risk to refill and transport anywhere. IMHO :) Danny

Tell me about it, I finally got to use my handy dandy, Harbor Freight refiller adapter. When I removed the 1# bottle, it had one of those leaky valves. I had to screw it back onto the regulator. Maybe I'll only refill those high dollar Coleman 1# bottles.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Scooter » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:10 pm

What do ya do with the 1lb. bottles when they're empty??? :QM
The RoadCamper the old teardrop
Scooter
500 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:28 pm

Scooter wrote:What do ya do with the 1lb. bottles when they're empty??? :QM

I heave them but there are recycling programs at some National Parks. Danny

I found this on the web.

Recycling Propane Cylinders Through a partnership with Grand Teton National Park, Yellowstone and Grand Teton concessionaires, the Yellowstone Park Foundation, and several private entities, there is now a program for collecting and recycling propane cylinders in the greater Yellowstone area. The Propane Bottle Recycler (PBR), a mobile propane cylinder recycling unit, is now being utilized to recycle an estimated 5,000, small, one-pound propane cylinders discarded in the greater Yellowstone area each year. The recycling function of this unit is twofold --the PBR is powered by propane that is extracted from the canisters and recycled; the canisters are then flattened to be recycled into steel. This is the first unit of its kind to address the significant issue of more than sixty million propane cylinders ending up in landfills in the United States every year. In 2005 Yellowstone National Park recycled 3,678 discarded cylinders within the greater Yellowstone area.

ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby asianflava » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:22 pm

I throw them away. With a leaky valve, I have no problem doing so.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets