cheap heater

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

cheap heater

Postby big earl » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:24 pm

hi all,
I have an idea on how to warm a tear drop with out using your battery up, you know how you always have a fire going, well what would happen if you had a rock about the size of a large grapefruit heating in the fire till you got ready for bed, and the you took it out of the fire and put it in say a dutch oven ad put that in the trailer, as small as the trailers are, it should be enough to keep it nice and toasty if it isnt, you could just use more rocks. :thinking:
if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy
big earl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby b.bodemer » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:56 pm

Friends of mine who camp in the early spring and sleep in their vehicles take a Nalgene bottle and fill it with hot water and then slip it in their sleeping bags to ge them warmed up. they say it works great.
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby big earl » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:05 pm

hi Barb and Bill, I just looked in your album and I really like you tear, I am hopefully going to get started on one this year, time permiting, hope to see you out there. :thumbs up1:
big earl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ken J » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:20 pm

You should be VERY careful about heating rocks in fires - they can explode - really!

Ken J.
Ken J
Teardrop Builder

Postby agpage » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:02 am

My Step Father decided that the microwave would be a good way to kill off the algae on your fish tank rockwork. Needless to say my mother (Who is deathly afraid of load noises and messy kitchens) still brings this up. Rocks with trapped water do explode. (Loudly)

Andy
agpage
Donating Member

Postby Paw_Paw_Drew » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:33 am

The nalgene bottle method is one I used a lot backpacking. It served to sterilize the water, warm my sleeping bag and if was in bag with me in the morning I didn't have frozen water.
Meet you at camp
Paw_Paw_Drew
Teardrop Master

Postby sledge » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:19 pm

what an Idea Big Earl...... I never thought of that, But yes......I'm sure thats a good idea. :thumbsup: .............................................. me and the wife are planning our first camping trip for 2007 in about............... 32 days.... 10 hours......(well, you get the idea ) :lol: :lol: :lol:
sledge
500 Club

Postby big earl » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:04 am

I was also toying with heating sand in some sort of cotainer, but haven't had much time to run with it.

:thinking:
big earl
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PresTx82 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:27 pm

If you are out backpacking and camping out in the open, you can take the rocks from around your campfire (if you are in a sandy area) and bury them in the sand the length of a person. Place your sleeping bag over them and the buried rocks heat up the sand and keep you warm all night. :applause:
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby Laredo » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:12 pm

You'd be amazed how much warmer you can sleep if you just don't sleep in the same clothes you've sweated in all day.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Cheap Heater

Postby BobU » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:21 pm

Laredo:
You are so right, dry is warm. I do alot of kayak camping, always sure to get some dry layers on before bedtime, really helps to "sleep warm". Of course a good sleeping bag is the best money you will ever spend.
BobU
If not now, when?
BobU
Donating Member

Postby Paw_Paw_Drew » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:51 pm

Dry cloths are great but I sleep natural and stay plenty wark. :lol:
Meet you at camp
Paw_Paw_Drew
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:46 pm

beachcamper wrote:What about the propane powered catalyst heaters?

Ugggh, do a search for them. You will find that most people here don't like them or don't reccomend them for a tear. I think that they would put out way too much heat for a tear.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby B&FHenderson » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:18 am

With tears being as small as they are, I would not want to any type of gas or combustion based heater in them. They tend to use a lot of O2 quickly. :?

If you have any other type of tiny trailer I would still be concered with O2 depletion. I would suggest using another blanket or quilt or feather throw. The point about dry cloths to sleep in also great. When I winter camp with the Boy Scouts I put on a ski cap or hooded sweatshirt.
B&FHenderson
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Rick Sheerin » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:25 pm

B&FHenderson wrote:With tears being as small as they are, I would not want to any type of gas or combustion based heater in them. They tend to use a lot of O2 quickly. :?

If you have any other type of tiny trailer I would still be concered with O2 depletion. I would suggest using another blanket or quilt or feather throw. The point about dry cloths to sleep in also great. When I winter camp with the Boy Scouts I put on a ski cap or hooded sweatshirt.

I use a Heater Buddy portable propane heater in my Metzendorf and only have to crack a window or vent- keeps it nice and toasty warm! I plan on using it in my Fandrop also.
Rick S
1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17ft

Careful with that Axe, Eugene
Rick Sheerin
500 Club

Next

Return to Camping Secrets