Windows for a Trolley top

Here is a generic building plan for a teardrop designed by the members of T&TTT.

Windows for a Trolley top

Postby CanuckShooter » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:43 am

Working on a plan that will include a Trolley top, for several reasons. To improve aerodynamics and to eliminate the standard 14x14 inch roof vent.
Looking for some good ideas on how to make opening/screened windows for the Trolley top. 3 or 4 inches high and a foot or so long. I've seen the home made Wiley windows and could do something like that but wouldn't be able to remove the glass/lexan for full flow through ventilation. I've also looked at porthole windows [commercial] and they are a little pricey.

Has anyone ran into something like this in a build thread somewhere or any suggestions/ideas that may work?? TIA
User avatar
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 104
Images: 123
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: British Columbia

Re: Windows for a Trolley top

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:56 pm

The simplest thing would be to make one or more of the windows completely removable, held in with simple clips. Alternatively, you could hinge one side. They are small and light enough handle easily. Not much call for an operable window that small.

If the operable windows don't have to be clear, there may be vents that would work.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1138
Images: 67
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:33 pm
Location: Fond du Lac, WI

Re: Windows for a Trolley top

Postby CanuckShooter » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:36 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:The simplest thing would be to make one or more of the windows completely removable, held in with simple clips. Alternatively, you could hinge one side. They are small and light enough handle easily. Not much call for an operable window that small.

If the operable windows don't have to be clear, there may be vents that would work.


I'd like them to be clear for the added light, thanks. Never thought of having them removeable.
User avatar
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 104
Images: 123
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: British Columbia
Top

Re: Windows for a Trolley top

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:43 pm

and to eliminate the standard 14x14 inch roof vent.


I'm scratching my head, wondering why you want to do that? I bought my first teardrop in 2004. It didn't have a roof vent. It's one of the main reasons I built my first. We don't run ours much, but we always have it at least cracked open along with the windows. It causes convection to pull fresh air in through the windows.

But I guess that's what your open trolly-top windows might do?

:thinking:

Tony
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 6961
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

Re: Windows for a Trolley top

Postby CanuckShooter » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:21 am

tony.latham wrote:
and to eliminate the standard 14x14 inch roof vent.


I'm scratching my head, wondering why you want to do that? I bought my first teardrop in 2004. It didn't have a roof vent. It's one of the main reasons I built my first. We don't run ours much, but we always have it at least cracked open along with the windows. It causes convection to pull fresh air in through the windows.

But I guess that's what your open trolly-top windows might do?

:thinking:

Tony

The idea is to have a 3 foot wide Trolley top with a boat rack for my canoe attached to that ,and around 1 1/2 foot drop on each side [about 6' width in total]. In all of my other campers we put the 14x14 with a Maxxair cover so we could leave it open when travelling and in inclement weather, but that would mean the boat rack would have to be raised quite high so the canoe would clear it. That was the issue with a boat rack on my 8 foot slide in camper, I always had to have the canoe way off to one side to get it up there, I want to avoid that issue.

We are going to build a slide in truck camper [cap] with bed slide outs on both sides for when we take the trailered fishing boat to larger lakes and the canoe for small lakes where the roads are not suitable for the big boat.
User avatar
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 104
Images: 123
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: British Columbia
Top

Re: Windows for a Trolley top

Postby tony.latham » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:26 am

I want to avoid that issue.


Gotcha. I hope you document this with a build log. :thumbsup:

Tony
User avatar
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member
 
Posts: 6961
Images: 17
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:03 pm
Location: Middle of Idaho on the edge of nowhere
Top

Re: Windows for a Trolley top

Postby CanuckShooter » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:56 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I want to avoid that issue.


Gotcha. I hope you document this with a build log. :thumbsup:

Tony


Build log:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=76250&p=1305105#p1305105
User avatar
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 104
Images: 123
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: British Columbia
Top


Return to Generic Building Plans

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest