Spare Tire Questions

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Spare Tire Questions

Postby swoody126 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:01 pm

Capebuild, even when the bolt patterns are the same(as in most boat trailer wheels and Jeep YJ's & TJ's) the offset of the wheel center/mounting point is likely different

many of today's automotive wheels are offset in in order to present a smoother filling of the wheel well opening which aids in reducing wind drag

most "trailer" designated wheels have "0" offset meaning the center of the wheel is in the middle of the rim

this inward offset brings the inside of the tire/wheel assembly much closer to the trailer frame if not smack dab up against it potentially causing friction causing causing TIRE FIRE ... :cry:

rim-specs.png
rim-specs.png (38.9 KiB) Viewed 188 times

no need to ask how i learned this

just be aware of this when proceeding

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby JasenC » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:13 pm

I don't think we talked about Fix A Flat, although the tire guys hate that stuff as you can imagine. But it would get you through the typical puncture
flat.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:17 pm

KCStudly wrote:I am sure that the reason Tony hasn't needed to use his spare, even though he has clocked many many miles on stony tracks, is because he started with good quality, rough service multiply tires to begin with.

My $0.02.

And it could be Tony just doesn't go where others go. Look at where he goes camping (his pictures).. if you stay off the beaten path where others travel. You have less potential of having flats from punctures.. because others haven't left things behind in their travels. Bolts, screws, anything that can puncture a tire. Can rocks do this? Well of course, but that not usually being the case.. Best tires for your travels should be a requirement.. but that doesn't keep accidents from happening.. Have a spare for your trailer, keep it in the TV..
I only traveled pulling a trailer one time with no spare, over the years.. guess what? yes.. :o something fell off a truck in front of me. Missed the TV tires, but not the trailer tire.. was stranded for a couple hours waiting for help..
NOW .. A couple things I always carry is, a spare, cigarette lighter plug air compressor, can of fix-a-flat, and a cheap tire plug kit.
Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets