Timbren on NT 5X8

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Timbren on NT 5X8

Postby Dan P » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:08 am

Hello folks. I am upgrading my NT 5X8 to a Timbren Axle-less suspension. My main reason is to add brakes and move the axle more towards the rear of the TD. Even with a loaded tongue box, battery, spare up front, etc., I was getting a little bit of sway during transit if the suspension got disturbed. Not much, but enough to make me want to make a change (my wife will be towing sometimes and I want it as safe and easy to tow as possible). From what I've read, the 60/40 rule seems to be good rule of thumb, but tongue weight is key. However, I am trying to wrap my head around placement with the Timbren system. The Timbren attachment point to the chassis is around 12-14 inches in front of the axle spindle where the tire mount. So should placement be based on where it bolts on the chassis or the actual spindles. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Timbren on NT 5X8

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:15 am

So should placement be based on where it bolts on the chassis or the actual spindles?

The spindle is the axle, of course. The system should be mounted so the spindle is at the 60/40 point. I assume you'll have to beef up the chassis frame to add those? (I don't know.)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:18 am

I'm no expert on the matter, but the 60/40 placement has served well for my three builds (two of which are the 5x8 NT).

As far as your specific question... I think the pivot point, where the rubber meets the road, is the ideal measurement to consider.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dan P » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:54 am

I assume you'll have to beef up the chassis frame to add those?

Good question actually and thanks for the reply. I will be looking at all of that this weekend. I was trying to find a thread where someone has detailed their install on a NT 5x8, but could not. At a minimum, I think beefing up the mounting points (side rails) may be required. If anyone has installed a Timbren Axle-less on a NT trailer, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dan P » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:14 pm

I got the Timbren's installed at the 40/60 point and added in the recommended 2x2x1/4 crossmember. This moved my wheels back several inched toward the rear from the NT stock placement. Brakes were added as well. I went out last weekend and it towed so much better. I think having brakes makes a big difference and certainly makes the whole rig much more manageable. I appreciate y'alls help.
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets