Rustproofing trailer before build?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Rustproofing trailer before build?

Postby CCTider » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:45 am

I've got a trailer that was originally used to haul an ATV. It's a 5x8 with PT 2x4 on the deck, and 4' high rails. It's only about a year old (title says 3/21), so it's in damn good condition. But, like with anything in horribly humid environment I'm in, there's some that's beginning to form on the angle iron. I can easily hit it with a wire brush and repaint it.

But I'm a bridge inspector, and an currently working on a bridge rehab project, where they're repainting the bridge girders with an epoxy based paint. I also hate maintenance and want to do everything I can to minimize any future structural issues. So my current project gives me an idea, but I'm not sure how practical it is, or if it would be beneficial.

I'm thinking about repainting the entire trailer with an epoxy based paint. I've lived in several states, and the Gulf Coast, between Houston and Mobile, it's the more humid place I've ever been. We basically on the dew point. I'm talking, it's only 75 degrees but I'm somehow sweating just walking to the mailbox, kinda humid.

Last thing I want, is to do my build, just to have to fight rust. I don't want to have to worry about any greens repairs for decades, if possible. I'd rather spend a little extra at the beginning, and know my trailer will start structurally sound. I may just be overly paranoid. I started in building construction, and have done a lot use waterproofing inspections and water intrusion investigations.

Would repainting a trailer with an epoxy based paint be beneficial? Or would it just be adding extra expense with minimal benefit?

I also have PT 2x4s as an existing decking. They're in very good shape. But, I'd hate to build on to of them, to have rot set in. Still they make a good deck? Should I remove them and put in something else? Remove them and seal them? I was thinking I'd use expandable foam in the gaps, sand it flush, put 1/2-1" rigid foam insulation, then a 1/2" plywood (that I would probably stain and use as the finished floor). But, that may be a lot of work for zero benefit.
CCTider
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Rustproofing trailer before build?

Postby schnottus » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:36 am

Living in WI I did a ton of research on what would be best. Powder coat chips, galvanizing a frame is expensive and adds weight. Painting won out and the best thing I could determine that money could buy was similar to what you are alluding to. I put a 2k epoxy primer (2 part, primer with activator) on the clean bare steel, then a quality black automotive paint over that (many options here, i went with a single stage - dupont imron). I also plan to spray underneath with Woolwax or fluid film before the fall as an added layer of protection.
schnottus
Teardrop Builder

Postby JasenC » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:55 am

FYI
A little ACF-50 Anti-Corrosion Spray, which is aviation grade, wouldn't hurt in all the joints and seams for winterization either.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby Happy Fun Ball » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:27 am

schnottus wrote:Living in WI I did a ton of research on what would be best. Powder coat chips, galvanizing a frame is expensive and adds weight. Painting won out and the best thing I could determine that money could buy was similar to what you are alluding to. I put a 2k epoxy primer (2 part, primer with activator) on the clean bare steel, then a quality black automotive paint over that (many options here, i went with a single stage - dupont imron). I also plan to spray underneath with Woolwax or fluid film before the fall as an added layer of protection.

I was really thinking about the galvanizing; I just love the idea of dipping it once and being done. That said, i have not had much luck find someone willing to do it yet.

Tell me more about the painting please. How did you clean/strip the steel? What kind of equipment do you have? Should I pay somebody to do it?
Happy Fun Ball
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nrhmaine » Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:27 pm

I used Por-15. Goes on great, and seems to really encapsulate the metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nrhmaine
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets