Hub Temperature Question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Hub Temperature Question

Postby Dan P » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:22 pm

I recently added 10" brakes to my TD. I noticed the temp on both hubs were around 180 deg when I stopped to get gas. I disconnected the brake wiring and continued down the road and rechecked after several miles. The temps came down to about 95-100 on both hubs, so I know its not too much brake drag within the wheel assembly itself. I'm new to towing a trailer and not sure if this is normal. Do the brakes have to "break in" and does this seem like an excessive temp?
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hub Temperature Question

Postby Philip » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:51 am

Your using electric brakes. If you have any circuits that are not properly ground. That stray electric will find a path to ground. If the electric brakes are the path it finds. The brakes will be applied. Do a very deep check on the tow vehicle and trailer for ground problems.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:32 am

I feel my hubs each time I stop for gas or we take a break. On this last trip, the weather was in the fifties and the hubs felt cold. And yes, I have breaks.

Something's not right. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dan P » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:02 pm

Ok. Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Investigating I will go.
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Capebuild » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:34 pm

During my recent travels I lost my brake's connection to my tow vehicle and have been in the midst of trying to figure out what's causing the issue. As a result I've been reading up on brakes. One thing I discovered is that brakes need to be adjusted.... after the first 200 miles of travel and again every 3000 miles. Something I didn't know. I read your post and thought that perhaps your brake shoes are dragging on your hubs enough to generate the heat you describe.... and need to be backed off a bit.... if you're using electro magnetic brakes. Something maybe to investigate.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Dan P » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:14 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I verified the brakes were not dragging when the brake wires were disconnected; so I know they're not adjusted too tight. It turned out to be my brake controller calibration. For some reason it would not play well with other electronics. As Philip suggested, I removed other wiring tied into the ground (amazon brake light/reverse light bar i added to my trailer in this case). After I disconnected the light bar and reset the brake controller, everything calibrated just fine. Hubs are a nice temp now (<90 F). Lesson learned - be careful with the quality of items you install on your camper.
Thanks for all of your help!
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Philip » Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:00 pm

At least you noticed the problem before it burnt off the brakes.

:thumbsup:
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets