Red Folding Trailers--any experience with these?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby rampage » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:46 pm

Thanks guys. I guess living in FL has me worried about wood rot...hey, at least i probably wont get termites in my TD. :)
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

More Red Trailer Questions...

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:00 pm

Hi everyone...

Two more questions about the Red Trailer. In the 'Generic...' plans modifications include 'taking 1.4' of the 45 degree trailer struts. What is the reason for that--because of the change in the side angle irons put in to convert to rigid config?

Also, the RT comes with 12" tires. My Altima runs on 15" tires is anyone runnig the RT with the 12" tires and 15 inch or bigger tow vehicle tires--any problems?

Thanks again,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:03 pm

Jim,

The Generic Benroy is built with the side walls covering the chassis. To achieve that, the cross members of the trailer are all cut 2" shorter. Then, to keep the tongue members from sticking out the side, 1.4" have to be chopped of the length. Does that make sense?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:29 pm

Mike,

Duh! My ADD/dslexic/senior mind skipped that point--shortening the cross members! I only focused on the modification from folding to rigid. Thanks, Mike!

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Trailer Pickup?

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:12 am

Red Trailer vets:

Some questions--I am leaning toward the Red Trailer but have a couple of questions....

I am close enough to Quakertown, PA (couple of hours) to be able to drive there to pick up a red trailer. The question I have is whether the cartons it comes in would fit in my trunk, back seat, each of which can take 48"+ wide loads. Since it is shipped in 3 cartons, I am hoping that the weight would be manageable, loading etc with help.

Advice, experience welcome,

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby toypusher » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:27 am

Jim,

You could always rent a trailer for even a pickup truck from U-Haul. The trucks are only about $20.00 a day, I think.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:52 am

Kerry,

The van/pickups are $20/day but the mileage is .59/mi, which would work out to more than the shipping charges that RT charges--devil is in the details ,g.

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby toypusher » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:04 am

OK! Friends, Jim, Ya gotta think about friends!! Or relatives. Somebody you know should have a truck or van. I don't know the size of the shipping cartons, but redtrailers should be able to give you that information, if you ask them.
toypusher
Site Admin

Can do pickup of the Red Trailer--save about 75 bucks

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:41 am

Kerry,

I emailed RT and they sent back the following information about the RT...I had measured my trunk and back seat and the boxes should fit fine...so for the price of about 10 gallons of gas I can pick these up....

"...It comes in three boxes, 2- boxes are 4ft long by 8"
wide 4"high and the
last box is 24"x 28"x12" It should fit in your
truck...."

'course, I don't have a truck <G>

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby rampage » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:00 pm

mikeschn wrote:Jim,

The Generic Benroy is built with the side walls covering the chassis. To achieve that, the cross members of the trailer are all cut 2" shorter. Then, to keep the tongue members from sticking out the side, 1.4" have to be chopped of the length. Does that make sense?

Mike...

Kayakrguy,
I'm going to build the generic benroy on top of the frame just like you would build a cubby. that will give me some extra height and i wont have to make any tongue or width mods. i'll just have to make the frame ridged with the cross member inside the side rails.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby kayakrguy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:46 pm

Hey, Ramp,

I am going to do the same ride entirely on the rails... I think I can make the thing balance right for tongue weight and ride with the CG forward enough. I am thinking of putting the battery (deep cycle) on the front which should help offset the backend weight of the galley. I want every bit of width for the bed, too <g>

BTW the shipping charge to FL is the same as to here...@ 100 mi west of Philly, $95.00. I am going to pick my RT up in Quakertown, use the money I save to take wife to the Philly Flower Show--pretend it is Spring <g>

Your earlier post about Termites--big deal here too...but then NJ and FL are part of the same ecosystem--pines, sand, ocean, great termite habitat.

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Re: Trailer Pickup?

Postby TomS » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:48 pm

kayakrguy wrote:I am close enough to Quakertown, PA (couple of hours) to be able to drive there to pick up a red trailer. The question I have is whether the cartons it comes in would fit in my trunk, back seat, each of which can take 48"+ wide loads. Since it is shipped in 3 cartons, I am hoping that the weight would be manageable, loading etc with help.

The trailer comes in 3 boxes shown below. You're looking at just under 300 pounds total weight. The long box is about 5 1/2 feet long.

Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby len19070 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:30 am

kayakrguy
If you can drive to Quakertowm Pa. why not look at both trailers. The Tractor Supply and the Red trailer. Both outlets are in the same town. I used the Tractor Supply trailer this year and it worked well.

http://www.teardrops.us/userfiles/46/new%20scad-a-bout

Just a thought.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby rampage » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:05 am

Does anyone have any tips on putting the crossmembers in the side rails that might make things easier on me? Such as where you drilled the holes, how many holes, etc. Thanks
rampage
Donating Member

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:29 am

Tom,

300 lbs! Back to the weight bench! <g>

I have a pass-through in my trunk so I will either put the long box through there (if it will fit) or take out the 5'crosspieces and put them through...then put the box in the trunk...

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets