Dexter Tosion Axle on Northen Tool 5x8 kit?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Dexter Tosion Axle on Northen Tool 5x8 kit?

Postby western traveler » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:58 pm

I hope it is ok to resurrect an old thread as this is a topic I am wrestling with.

With the pandemic it seems a few trailer builders have gone away. I am planning on a build similar to Tony Latham's teardrop build as outlined in his book a 5'X10'. I have had trouble locating any trailers matching those dimensions. I have tried locating one within a reasonable distance to my residence (not California, Montana). The closest I came was a Carry On brand utility trailer with ramp at North 40. I would just cut off the rails and ramp and go from there, however they are out of stock and due to fluctuating steel prices they cannot give a price of an order. It is pricy but I want 15" tires as I thought for less hassle it could be worth the extra money. $1300...There are others around but at hundreds more. The one most available close to those dimensions is 5.6X10 but I would like to stay within my trucks lines and have read that 5' wide works best for other reasons as well. I make a 1300 mile trip twice a year.

So here is my question. I followed this thread and saw a couple of builders used NT 5X8 and the Dexter Torflex axle. Someone (Crusty I think) had planned to extend the trailer to 10 feet.
I am considering this option and wondering if anyone knows how that project went?

Also would it be foolish to proceed with my build without a trailer in possession? The plan is to build as Tony and Steve Frederick did, off the trailer.
I am at this time leaning heavily towards the Northern tool 5X8, extending it, and using the Dexter Torflex and just going with it.
I live a few miles out of town of a gravel road and anticipate seeing a lot of other dirt road as well.
Thought?
western traveler
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets