Build or Buy Chassis Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Build or Buy Chassis Frame

Postby Capebuild » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:17 am

I'm just at the beginning stages of researching for my build.
One issue that's got me perplexed and which I'm debating is to whether build (weld) the frame or buy one. I'm skeptical of the HF and NT product, not a fan of the bolted together structural members.

I have little experience welding but plan on purchasing a Millermatic 211 MIG welder soon. So I could feasibly weld up a frame with some research and learning (understanding I need to know what I'm doing before proceeding).

I have a couple of questions to pose to the forum. Do most people weld up their own frames? If not, what alternatives are there to HF and NT? Preferably something that is welded.
I would like to have a unit that has brakes, or is capable of having them added.

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Build or Buy Chassis Frame

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:07 am

For about the cost of the welder you can buy a ready built trailer and revise as needed.

Last edited by bobhenry on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Capebuild » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:11 am

Noted.... however I am planning on buying the welder anyway. It's the one "craft" I'm lacking and have always wanted to have that craft in my "arsenal of tools".
I've got a number of other projects that require welding.....
so back to my original post.

Thank you for the thought.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:20 am

My welder sets in my shop but I got a great deal on the Northern tool frame shown so I just modified with a $9.95 Harbor freight 4 1/2 grinder and a few cutting wheels. I decided a trailer with a title made it easier to get plates than a police inspection and the hoops needed to get certified from a frame down build. Don't forget the axle and tire costs when planning.... Here was my first frame , part heavy duty hand rail and part harbor freight tongue and axle assembly ( total cost $75.00 at this point in time) a cobbled up mess of welding that has survived 11 years and thousands of miles and dozens and dozens of outings....

However you do it have fun with your build !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby swoody126 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:30 am

starting out as bobhenry suggests can provide you w/ a frame and suspension that you could adapt/modify as your dream unfolds

this way your basic platform would not likely be in question in reference to your beginning welding skills

you haven't listed where you are so making suggestions for specific regional opportunities is impossible for readers to offer help

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Capebuild » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:44 am

Hi Both... again, thank you for your help.

So this brings a question to mind about registration. From what you say, bobhenry, if one buys a trailer frame from say, HF, the frame purchase has the title already established, where as if one were to build their own frame, an added "inconvenience " is having to get a title for it. Good point. I suppose there is a way to do that, but I guess there is that jumping through hoops to do it.

I suppose one option is to buy a frame from somewhere and, as you say, modify it as I see fit.

swoody126, I'm in Massachusetts. I need to research these issues as to how they apply to my state.

So, some things to consider.
Do most people, that you know of, just buy an existing frame/chassis?

Thanks again for the comments/help.
John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:56 am

I'll argue for welding a chassis.

Despite what some people think, welding isn't rocket science. There are numerous great instructional videos on Youtube. Find some scrap steel. Retailers usually have cutoffs for sale. Six-bits says you know someone that can give you a half-hour run down on your new machine. That's all it will take.

You'll end up with a much better chassis.

Here's a plan you can run from:

It's made from .120" 2" x 2" tubing. That thickness is easy to weld for a beginner.

Here's my wife welding a chassis for her son's teardrop wedding gift:

:thumbsup: You'll use that welder for lots of stuff.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:11 am

Thanks, Tony. I do recognize those pictures you posted..... I've been reading your book which just arrived. Great guidance. Even my wife has been reading it and giving it kudos!

I think I'd feel better just biting the bullet and creating my own frame, knowing that I can build it to my specs and making it as light as possible and putting in the supports where needed,
installing the brake system, bigger tires than what would come on a purchased unit.

Just need to keep reading up on it and educating myself. And learn about the registration issues that one needs to deal with.

Thanks again.

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:45 am

Even my wife has been reading it and giving it kudos!

Here's a video of my wife working on her son's teardrop your's may enjoy.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:12 am

What a great video! Thanks so much for sharing that. The ending brought a smile to my face.
If you look at my Newbies "Introduce Yourselves" post I put up when I joined this forum I had mentioned I am thinking of building
2 trailers at the same time, one for my wife and myself... and one for my son as a wedding gift. (one trailer may now come after the other
so I can work out the bugs).

So, great inspiration.... I will show my wife your video. Your wife is very skillful....mine will appreciate it.

Thanks again

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:09 pm

Your wife is very skillful....mine will appreciate it.

She wasn't at the start of that project. But she is now.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:51 pm

I am of the school you want a welder anyway. Make your own, then deal with the title issues.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:23 pm

There ain't much that's easier to do in Oz than in the US, but "titling" a trailer is one of them.
I was speaking to one of the welders from work the other day, who has a sideline building custom trailers.
He builds it, goes down to the registration mob, fills out a form, they give him a VIN, job done.
I sympathise with you guys, seems like a lot of hoops to jump through.
But worth jumping through, in my opinion.
We can buy the equivalent of a Northern Tools Ironton 8 x 5 here. I will be very surprised if it isn't exactly the same trailer, to be honest.
However, I think I can get a custom trailer from my welder mate and finish it and register it for about the same money and have more confidence in it.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby cwegga » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:00 am

Either way, I think you should get the welder and make that trailer truly custom the way you want.

For sure, check your state and see how hard it is to title trailers. One additional thing to consider is, when will you be doing the hoop jumping paperwork part of the process. My state is really easy to title a homebuilt. You just need a state patrol inspection to see if it already has a VIN, take that form to the county licensing people, pay them to get a VIN assigned, stamp it on the trailer, get another state patrol inspection to verify the VIN, and then go back to the county and pay them for registration/your plate. That being said, the process is pretty rough currently during covid. I did the process last year and it took me weeks of phone calls to the licensing office and maybe 20 hours or more of waiting in lines on multiple days to get into the office as they switched between not seeing people because of covid, appointment only, and first come first serve. You may want to make sure you can even do title work like that in your area under current conditions.

All that being said, if you can swing it, I'm a fan of making it truly custom to what you want, so totally building may be the way to go. My current trailer I got in as a homebuilt was built by someone else and I plan to eventually get a welder and completely redo the frame.
cwegga
Teardrop Builder

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:11 am

My first chassis was built by a shop that that's their specialty.
The owner said my drawing was the best he had ever seen.
I had to return it as they made it 2" too narrow :roll: .
I purchased a welder, a welding video and have made the last 5 in my own shop.
I don't attach the tongue under the main part like some but make it on one plane.
I attach a 4' hitch receiver forward and aft for a bike rack in the rear and a removable tongue in the front.
You'll see a couple pieces welded behind the tire area for a scissor jack for leveling or tire changing.
Those basket like things are for my 2 batteries accessed through hatch covers in the floor.
Yes, there are a lot of attachment tabs to attach to the floor and tongue box, it makes for a stronger unit.
:D Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets