Axle Questions

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Axle Questions

Postby Capebuild » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:56 pm

Hello.... couple of (novice) questions in planning for the axle. (planning on getting either a Dexter #9 or a Flexiride of some variety)

What does it mean to "derate" the axle? I'm not knowledgable with that, tried looking it up but didn't really find an answer. (I've seen the spec where someone orders a "2000# axle but derates it to 1400#s). What does that mean?

The "start angle"..... does one determine that by how far off the ground they want the trailer to ride, is that the purpose of specifying a certain start angle?

Thank you, appreciate your help.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Axle Questions

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:46 pm

Last edited by halfdome, Danny on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:48 pm

I am in the process of replacing our 12 year old Dexter axle because of a case of DA (dragging tail) as it sagged. Derating the axle has to happen at the manufacturer. Based in my experience you might want to reconsider. I am sure there are calculations to tell you what you will end up in height talk with the manufacturer. OR, we are replacing our Dexter with a Flexride https://www.theuniversalgroup.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/53/ which can be adjusted/changed.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby steve cowan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:34 pm

I requested my Flexiride 2000 pound axle to be derated to 1400 pound when I ordered it to give a better ride.The unique thing about a flexiride is being able to
adjust the splined shaft for the height you want.When I ordered mine the 2000 pound had no brake option.You had to go with 3500 pound to get brakes.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:45 pm

I've seen the spec where someone orders a "2000# axle but derates it to 1400#s). What does that mean?

It means the axle is made for a 1400 pound trailer, not a 2000 pounder. I think Dexter shortens the rubber torsion pieces to do this.

None of the steel pieces change.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:40 am

Thanks all for the follow ups. very helpful. Danny, that was a great post with lots of info.

I think I understand the purpose of specifying a certain start angle (having to do with the distance between the road and the chassis).
As far as the derating issue.... if you order a 2000# axle and "derate" it, to say 1400#s, I'm assuming you expect your total trailer weight to be
1400#s. What if your weight winds up being over 1400? And is the purpose of derating it so you have a smoother ride (where a 2000# for a 1400# payload
would give a "stiffer" ride, not enough give in the axle to absorb the bumps.....do I have that correct?

Thanks again. Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I understand all this.
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:09 am

It's very important to get the ride height right, as I well know. :o
My second teardrop was drawing a lot of positive comments from the low rider guys. :thumbsup:
Dexter told me it was ok to weld a spacer of my frame material to bring it up, worked great but a lot of extra work.
In that old post I follow the recommendations made by Grant.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Kampereen » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:36 am

Capebuild wrote: And is the purpose of derating it so you have a smoother ride (where a 2000# for a 1400# payload
would give a "stiffer" ride, not enough give in the axle to absorb the bumps

I hope someone will comment on this because I have a question along the same line! I am building light tent campers using the Flexiride 550 lb. axle stubs. They are hard to find in stock sometimes, so I have been looking at what's available. The higher rated 935 lb. are in stock.

The empty sprung weight of the camper is around 175 lbs. So I am wondering if that is too light for a 935 lb.-rated axles. When loaded, I'm figuring ride quality wouldn't be as much of an issue, but would the ride be too stiff/bouncy for the empty camper?
The Kampereen: A Build Journal
http://www.kampereen.com
Kampereen
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:24 am

We replace our 2400# Dexter with a 3500# Flexride and I am not seeing a noticeable difference in ride.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:08 pm

I can't recall the exact Dexter terminology, but keep in mind that the start angle is the angle of the torsion arm unloaded. Once the axle is carrying the static weight of the trailer, the torsion arm rotates upward, lowering the trailer. The remaining torsion arm rotation is the suspension travel.

I ordered my Dexter axle de-rated to match the trailer weight. It worked fine for about 7-8 years and then there was some sag. I would suggest giving yourself a 300-400# "cushion on the derating. Theoretically, you should include the weight of your camping supplies and furnishings too; however, these are approximately equal to the weight of wheels and tires which the suspension doesn't have to support. (They are un-sprung weight.)

Lastly - and this one is controversial - for the lifetime of our teardrop, I kept tire pressures around 25 psi rather than the 35-40 psi range per the sidewall. The lower tire pressure will drastically improve the trailer ride performance. The tires we used were not trailer tires. They were automotive tires. I wasn't worried about excess sidewall flexing because the tires were carrying about 700-800# each on the teardrop compared with the 1,000-1,500 they would be carrying on the average passenger vehicle, plus they did not experience any where near the stress as front tires on a vehicle incur during turning movements.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Kampereen » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:34 am

Tom thanks for that feedback. I got a set of the 935 lb axle stubs to try because the lighter ones aren't available right now and won't be for a few months. I figured that was a good enough excuse to try something new.
The Kampereen: A Build Journal
http://www.kampereen.com
Kampereen
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets