Question on Chassis

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Question on Chassis

Postby Capebuild » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:27 am

Hello. I'm working out some final details on the chassis and have 2 questions.
I've attached 2 images.

1) Regarding the removable hitch, where it gets inserted into the hitch receiver. Is 12 inches adequate, enough overlap for the fit?

2) I'm questioning whether the 65 inch tongue length from chassis rectangle to center of ball is too much, or an okay amount. I'm planning on installing a bike rack in the area between end of cabin
and the ball, so made that area a little longer than maybe what it should be....I've got 60 degree angle on the tongue angled pieces, as shown. Also questioning whether the center of ball is a bit to forward of
where the 2 60 degree angled members meet, the distance being about 16 inches.....(whether the ball should be closer to that intersection reducing that 16 inches)?

Any other comments would be welcome.

Thanks very much.

John
Attachments
chassis frame_10 FT_3.3.21_use thisDANNY FRAME VS_3.6.21.jpg
chassis frame_10 FT_3.3.21_use thisDANNY FRAME VS_3.6.21.jpg (48.76 KiB) Viewed 967 times
recev tube.jpg
recev tube.jpg (290.87 KiB) Viewed 967 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Question on Chassis

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:35 am

12" is fine for the receiver.

I might suggest you bring the cross-member forward to support the floor where the door (and your hips) are.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:52 am

And leave a 1/2" of gap between the coupler and the receiver so you can install a hitch tightener to stop the slop.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:46 am

John, I weld a 48" hitch receiver to the first cross member which is a lot easier and less welds than a patch job with a shorter hitch receiver.
My 2" x 2' draw bar is 30" long and it's welded and bolted to the coupler about an inch before the coupler tightening lever.
What I would do is make the chassis with 4' receiver then make a draw bar longer than anticipated so you can hook it up to your tow vehicle for a test jack knife situation.
You could clamp a chunk of plywood up front to mimic where the teardrop body will be sitting.
You can drill your hole in the draw bar after your test.
The body of my 5' x 10' teardrop extends 6' front and rear on the rectangle portion of the chassis.
The welded on angles hold my 7 wire cable safely off the ground to the junction box on the inside of the first crossmember of the chassis.
:D Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Capebuild » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:31 pm

Thanks for that suggestion Tony. That makes sense.

And thanks Danny for your suggestion. So rather than make that member that travels back to the first cross member 2 pieces, just make it one piece of 2.5 X 2.5 tube, so the 2 x2 receiver with coupler mates with it. Got it.

That would also allow for a longer draw bar. Thank you for the suggestions!

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets