Pros/Cons on wheels

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Pros/Cons on wheels

Postby msangler » Sun May 09, 2021 6:04 pm

Hi all! First time posting and hope to start building this summer. But I am in the midst of gathering information and I searched the forums but did not find a clear answer (one may not exist as others opinions/experiences will vary!). I spoke to Northern Trailer as they have a 5x8 with free shipping. It is speed limited to 45 mph due to the 12" tires and when I asked their support about upgrading to a larger wheel and/or changing the axle, I was told it would void the warranty. I am not planning on off-road camping but as I fish, who knows where I might end up. So my questions are

1. Is it worth it/necessary to go with larger wheels? If so, how big?
2. Why is changing the axle to a larger wheel such a warning signal to the manufacturers?
3. Are 12" tires really an issue for highway travel?

I look forward to being educated from your insights.

Michael
msangler
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Pros/Cons on wheels

Postby TimC » Sun May 09, 2021 6:29 pm

I went with 13" on all my builds. Aesthetic reasons mostly. #1 was a custom built trailer now with aluminum rims and radials. #2 and #3 are on NT 5x8. One steel trailer with steel wheels. The other an aluminum trailer with aluminum wheels and radials.

1. Worth the change, yes. Not cheap. Look better and better quality tires/wheels. Larger diameter means less rotations per mile. Smoother ride with bigger, wider tires. I have radial SP tires.

Not necessary. If you plan to load the trailer under the rated capacity and stick to highway speed limit you will be fine with 12" tires. The stock tires are ok, but, plan to replace every five years regardless of tread and milage. Actually, replace any tire after five years, especially trailer tires.

2. Any change in design is not engineered into their product. They will not be responsible for changes the customer makes and I don't blame them.

3. No, see above comment about 12" stock NT trailer tires. If you think you'll blow off weight capacity recommendations down the road then it's on you.

If you want to see a modification of the NT axle on #3 Look through the build journal for #3 below (page 1).
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Sun May 09, 2021 6:33 pm

Larger wheels will lower the hub speed, going to say to a 14 inch at 55 might lower the hub speed to the same as a 12 inch at 45( guess no math involved ).

I also think its more their tires they use, so getting a better tire with a higher speed rating may solve the issues. Also good luck on them covering any warranty at all, they will blame you for any failure.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby friz » Sun May 09, 2021 6:58 pm

I have run 80 with 12s. No issues. Pack the bearings with good grease and you will be fine.Image

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Sparksalot » Tue May 11, 2021 1:24 pm

When I built Rose I sprung for the 2,000# axle and 13” wheel upgrade from Red Trailers. Mainly because there was not a lot of info around on how much a tear would actually weigh. Rose came in at 1,400# unloaded.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago, and I learned that all 13” and smaller trailer tires, maybe 14” as well, are only speed rated for 65mph. Kinda sucks when you’re driving long distances to go camping. You didn’t mention your location, but exceeding that rating in the heat of a Texas summer is not advisable.

Fast forward again to 2021. I’m planning another trip to Walk The Winds in Wyoming, so another 3,500+ miles. I’ve had enough of 65mph, so just upgraded to 14” wheels and appropriate tires for the “96 Ford Ranger” they’re going on. At the same time, I’ve also been concerned for a long while about the tiny utility trailer bearings. I’ve upgraded the axle to a 3,500# piece to use the larger bearings. I’m not intending to do 80 mph cruising, but feel much more comfortable with 70-75 now.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Tue May 11, 2021 2:18 pm

Sparksalot wrote:
Fast forward to a couple of years ago, and I learned that all 13” and smaller trailer tires, maybe 14” as well, are only speed rated for 65mph.

I'm a bit bemused by US rules.
Here in Oz, I bought two 13" wheels from a trailer supply place. They came with 155R13C light truck tyres. Speed rating is Q - 99 miles per hour.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Sparksalot » Tue May 11, 2021 3:08 pm

MickinOz wrote:
Sparksalot wrote:
Fast forward to a couple of years ago, and I learned that all 13” and smaller trailer tires, maybe 14” as well, are only speed rated for 65mph.

Here in Oz, I bought two 13" wheels from a trailer supply place. They came with 155R13C light truck tyres. Speed rating is Q - 99 miles per hour.

That’s perfect. I was looking to do the same for a while. It’s been many moons since 13” non- trailer tires have been available. Now even 14” are becoming very unusual, I had to order the pair I got.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby friz » Tue May 11, 2021 3:37 pm

MickinOz wrote:
Sparksalot wrote:

Here, there is no penalty for filing a frivolous lawsuit.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Tue May 11, 2021 4:29 pm

Sparksalot wrote:
MickinOz wrote:
Sparksalot wrote: It’s been many moons since 13” non- trailer tires have been available. Now even 14” are becoming very unusual, I had to order the pair I got.

I guess they will become less common here too, as cars seem to run bigger and bigger wheels.
So far, so good.
I bought these wheels from interstate, but they only took a week or so.
At this moment in time, anything trailer tyre from 8 inches up is reasonably easy to obtain.
Except the ones I have on the trailer for my little fibreglass catamaran.
They are 6.90-9 with an 80 mph speed rating - hard to get.

Edit: I have noticed though, that the three bigger outfits that sell their wheel/tyre combos on Ebay are starting to put up "out of stock" notices for some combinations.
I think our on-going arguments with China are starting to bite.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby msangler » Tue May 11, 2021 11:22 pm

Fun for me to see your rig. I was going to build the CLC Teardrop but am looking at a different design. And I used to own a 1966 Mustang Convertible. The sale of that will pay for this build. M
msangler
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dmdc411 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:37 am

I've towed a 1200lb boat, motor, trailer combo for 17 years that has 4.80-12 wheels at speeds up to 80mph. Keep the bearings lubed, air pressures correct, and replace tires when 5yrs old or so. My teardrop build started 11 yrs ago. Finished it 5yrs ago. I just replaced the tires with new radials. Those old tires were 11 yrs old by the date code, no cracking what so ever. Only because it's in my garage, out of the sun 80% of the time!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby msangler » Mon May 17, 2021 10:05 pm

I really do appreciate all of the input. Some of this is outside of my experience and some I do not want to spend the time to learn. I love woodworking and electrical and just want to get started. I do like the idea of larger (14-15" tires) as I get better height and have more choices when it comes time to buy tires. So my few remaining questions are -

1. If I bought a NT trailer with 12" and I want to convert to a bigger wheel, what is the best way? I read with fascination the idea of welding in an insert to make them further apart. As I do not weld, what are my options.

2. Can I use the axle the NT trailer comes with and add something to make them larger or is that a jury rig.

I really only want to do this once! Thanks again for all of your time in responding and thanks for posting your rigs. So many good choices.

Michael
msangler
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets