Bowlus brake controller

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Bowlus brake controller

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:09 pm

On their website, it says:
Smart Brake Controller
Integrated Bluetooth brake controller for the modern nomad. Triple-axis, motion-sensing accelerometer for highly responsive, smooth braking to any tow vehicle without any mods, seamless tow vehicle transfer with vehicle-specific memory profiles i.e., tow with the Tesla X one day, the Porsche Macan the next).

https://bowlus.com/terra-firma/

Is this available to me and what are the pros and cons? Wild a$$ guess it's expensive.

Thanks!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Bowlus brake controller

Postby KCStudly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:21 pm

There is a mfg that specifically markets a brake controller that is intended to be mounted on the trailer tongue, however it is expensive (as are all bluetooth capable controllers). I don't recall the brand OTTOMH.

On the other hand, there are people here that have adapted std brake controllers to be mounted on tongue or in tongue box (the g meter doesn't know or care where it is at). The only drawback is not having adjustability at your finger tips. This might not be so much of a concern for regular street driving where, once you get it dialed in, you may seldom ever need to make an adjustment; but for towing with alternate vehicles, for going down grade in loose offroad or icy conditions (where you don't want the trailer to try and pass the TV), it might not be best.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:40 pm

Like this, or am I not getting it?
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51180

I see this for under $240, and "conventional" controllers for $35 to 150. What conventional controlers are well regarded by this crowd.

They seem simpler to install. Are they?

I built a 5 x 10 x 2 box - removable - for my trailer I bought and modified for a teardrop, and am using it a lot for utility. My car has 2900 tow capacity but manual says trailer brakes over 1000, and things like top soil and gravel will push the 2900. So backing into this. Good part is those materials will be used to build garage to build and store teardrop!
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Just to continue, 4 to 7 pin conversion is especially easy with the adapter, and only add the 12 volt constant, no brake, and optionally the auxiliary or back-up lights?

I might figure this out someday.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:56 pm

The Curt 7-pin ^ is a new one on me. Looks super easy to install, assuming you already have 7-pin connection on TV.

It has been awhile since I refreshed myself on the details, so pls forgive me if I screw this up, but FWICR, the low buck "std" (~<$65) controllers aren't usually inertial (i.e. you make a basic setting and when the brakes come on they always come on that hard).

The inertial type (~>$65) have something akin to a gyro in them, and they will give proportional braking depending on how hard you are trying to stop. Look for the key words "inertial" and/or "proportional" in ad speak.

Either way, whether the device is mounted in/on the TV or the trailer, the trigger is the application of the brake pedal as determined by the brake light circuit coming on. From there you need a stout source (10ga wire?) of 12v to handle the draw from the brake apply electronic coil magnets. The rest is just how much do you want to spend for efficincy, adjustability, configurability and convenience.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:37 pm

Thank you. I'm learning. My one wiring point was that I don't have to run a wire from controller in cab to 7 pin receptacle because that is already ordered in the device. Awkward phrasing.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets