Northern Tools 5 x 8 upgrade

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Northern Tools 5 x 8 upgrade

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:30 am

Thought I posted this before but can't find it. I want to add brakes to NT trailer because I'm using it a lot for utility hauling. TV is rated 2700 but manual says trailer brakes required above 1000 pounds.

So, planning on ordering from Etrailer, but might look at Tim's dealer in Illinois. Thinking Curt wireless controller and a harness that plugs into existing 4 pin. I think I only need to run one wire in car - black one iirc - for power for brakes. As simple as possible.

Then Dexter axle and hubs and brakes, mounted underslung on existing leaf springs. I'be read a lot of torsion versus springs here and would rather not have to reinforce frame which seems advisable to or torsion axle. Not for teardrop use, but for utility use - like a ton of gravel - springs seem more owner repairable and of course lower initial cost as well.

Finish that with tires and rims - 14" seems reasonable - good for interstate speeds - with a spare.

So, let her rip. Share your comments.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Northern Tools 5 x 8 upgrade

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:10 pm

:thinking: Double check me on this but I believe New York state is the only state with the 1000 pound rule. You're so close to several borders that you could possibly get away without brakes, depending on how things get licensed there. However, yes, brakes would be better, so this may be just a thought in passing.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Northern Tools 5 x 8 upgrade

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:29 am

I didn't know NY law. I wanted brakes because car manual says required. It is a Subaru with a CVT.

Thank you!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets