Check my tire/wheel/axle specs

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Check my tire/wheel/axle specs

Postby hccccook » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:12 pm

Hey all,

I'm finally getting started! I'm a carpenter by trade, so I've mostly been researching tire/wheel/axle information for the last two weeks because I'm completely lost there. Have had a very productive day today due to the snowstorm pummeling the Northeast (15 inches and counting here on Long Island!)

I think I've finally nailed down a tire choice, wheel choice, and Dexter Axle order. Can y'all check it over and against my rough trailer drafting (will be welding myself) and make sure I'm making choices that match up? I have NOT pinned down my axle placement front to back yet, so I don't need advice on that front.

The biggest difference I see between a lot of Dexter axle orders on this forum and mine is that I've calculated my start angle at 22.5 UP, whereas most I see are 22.5 DOWN. It doesn't make a difference for the ride, right? As long as I have all my calculations right? I'm basing mine on the Vistabule shape, and will be incorporating basement storage to be accessed from under the bed/couch, which is why I ended up with that start angle (I think).

I'm also bolting on some wooden padding on the sides of the frame to be able to attach a skirt easily, so I based my axle bracket dimensions with that included to make sure my tires have enough clearance on either side of the frame, plus I'm still going to add an 1/4" skin and fenders. Is that the right way to do this? And did I understand the axle mounting brackets right?

Thanks all!

PS I'm planning on a 2200# axle rating.

Drafting 1.jpg
Drafting 1.jpg (364.6 KiB) Viewed 241 times

Last edited by hccccook on Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
✧ Hannah ✧

Teardrop Thalassa

https://www.instagram.com/teardrop_thalassa/
hccccook
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Check my tire/wheel/axle specs

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:38 pm

I do not know the answers to your questions, but those are some pretty impressive drawings and I see you pay attention to details! Best wishes for a successful build. :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pchast » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:33 pm

Depending on the mattress you may wish to lower the door
height... 2 inches of mattress could compress enough to be
rather uncomfortable for sitting in the doorway.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:50 pm

Your brain is on a run. :thumbsup:

Great sketches. I too think you may need to lower the door so you are not feeling the frame while sitting.

You also may want to draw in your fender and make sure the door clears.

I think those load range C tires would be great shoes for her. Your hub face dimension will be fine.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby hccccook » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:29 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:I do not know the answers to your questions, but those are some pretty impressive drawings and I see you pay attention to details! Best wishes for a successful build. :thumbsup:

Thanks so much! I professionally draft and model build for film/theatre/NYC window displays. I plan to build a scale model too, to really wrap my head around it all and build as fast as possible this spring/summer :)

tony.latham wrote:Your brain is on a run. :thumbsup:

Great sketches. I too think you may need to lower the door so you are not feeling the frame while sitting.

You also may want to draw in your fender and make sure the door clears.

I think those load range C tires would be great shoes for her. Your hub face dimension will be fine.

:thinking:

Tony

Thanks Tony! Just spent the morning redrafting the door and modeling the fender so make sure it all fits. We're good! Time to call Dexter tomorrow :thumbsup:
✧ Hannah ✧

Teardrop Thalassa

https://www.instagram.com/teardrop_thalassa/
hccccook
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:46 pm

Just spent the morning redrafting the door...

Vistabule profiles are not hard to look at, as you well know. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets