Fender Clearance Question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Fender Clearance Question

Postby Capebuild » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:18 pm

How much clearance space is suggested to leave between tire and inside surface of fender. For some reason 3 inches is in my head. Does this sound reasonable?

Also, in order for the fenders to fit "properly", leaving a somewhat equal radius from tire surface to inside of fender, I'd have to cut a couple of inches of the two sides
on the fender's bottom (to sort of position the fender so it's got a somewhat equal radius with the tire). Is this typical, to trim the fender sides? Just askin'.......

Thanks!

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Fender Clearance Question

Postby MickinOz » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:50 pm

Not sure of the right answer John, but can tell you what I did.
Advice received from a trailer manufacturer was that lateral clearance is advised to be 50mm/two inches, minimum 1 1/2 inches.
That's the gap between the tyre and the wall.

My springs are rated to deflect 50mm with 600 Kg pushing down on them.
So, with much of the build complete, nearing final weight, I knew I had at least some of that deflection. At that point, I positioned my fender so that it looked like the circle of the tyre and the circle of the fender are concentric.
Worked out OK and about three inches of travel room remaining give or take a bit.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Squigie » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:53 pm

I like generous clearances and am setting up the rough road TD for 1.5" sidewall and 2" of tread clearance, at full compression with Timbren suspension. But I have almost 3.5" of travel to consider, iirc. So that is more like 3-4" of clearance for mud, snow, and gravel at normal ride height. (Sidewall clearance is a bit of a compromise, brought on by tire choice and trying to keep overall width as narrow as reasonably possible.) If I was using a solid axle and leaf springs, I would have to allow more sidewall clearance for axle articulation.

But if you want a tight, clean look, and will be staying on paved roads and well maintained gravel lots, you can reduce the clearance to as little as 1/2" with some types of suspension (lateral and radial).
If you tighten things up, keep in mind spring deflection and the swing arm radius while doing the calculatin'. With torsion axles, leaf springs, trailing arms, etc., the axle/hubs are typically going to be arcing rearward as the suspension compresses.

It is all about what you're using, what you think you need clearance for, and how well the fenders fit the tires.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:12 pm

I build the chassis with 4-1/2" of vertical clearance for a Dexter Torflex axle. When the cabin is added to the trailer, it settles of course.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:28 am

Thanks Mick, Squigie and Tony for your thoughts. I probably should have mentioned I'm using a Dexter torsion axle.

I ordered a pair of fenders which, if I keep them concentric with the tires (which is what I'd like), will provide about 3 inches of clearance. I'll need to cut a bit off each side as
they would overhang the bottom of the cabin a bit otherwise.

thanks again.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:30 am

Seems reasonable.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets