how do you extend an aluminum trailer?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

how do you extend an aluminum trailer?

Postby iluvbama001 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:53 pm

It has been a long time since I have been on the forum. Before Bamaeagle passed in 2020 we had bought a 5X8 aluminum trailer and had moved the axle back with the intent to lengthen the trailer to 10 ft. i am finally ready to start the build and would like to hear what ya'll think is the best way to lengthen an aluminum trailer. Thanks for your responses.
iluvbama001
Teardrop Inspector

Re: how do you extend an aluminum trailer?

Postby JasenC » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:40 pm

Get it welded would be #1
#2 Get 4' piece of aluminum channel that just fits inside the existing, span the joint of the extension piece and existing frame 50/50 and bolt it together every 6" with stainless bolts and nylocks.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby iluvbama001 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:34 pm

Thanks so much.
iluvbama001
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schnottus » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:04 am

Welding generally weakens aluminun and you cant tell by sight how much weaker it is. With that said if its done right (reinforced, or the welded area has enough safety margin to account for it) then welding is a good choice. Just dont use this as your learning to weld project, aluminum is tricky

This is probably overkill, but huck bolts are kind of the top tier for aluminum frames that are going to see rough service (where aluminum welds might fatigue and crack). More clamping surface area than a normal bolt, but I havent personally used them because $$$,

Chances are if this is not an offroad trailer then Jasons plan to bolt some channel in will do fine.
schnottus
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets