Frame for Extra Small/Narrow Teardrop

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Frame for Extra Small/Narrow Teardrop

Postby King Butter Turtle » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:02 pm

I'm a newbie here - looking to build an especially tiny teardrop to pull behind my FIAT - it will be just for one person - no galley, no storage/AC/TV/etc. I'd like it to be about 32" wide - no more than 40", about 78" long - no more than 84" and about 42" tall - no more than 48". I'm thinking of using 1/2" ply and 1/2" foam for the walls and 1/4" ply and 1" foam for the ceiling. Hoping to weigh in under 500 pounds. (ideally well under)

I'm looking for suggestions for a frame. At first, I was going to use a PWC trailer from Northern Tool because it's the only thing I could find narrow than 48" but long enough. But, they're hard to find used and, if I bought one new, I would be paying for quite a bit that I had no use for anyway (the boat bunks, the winch support and the non-highway speed tires which I would replace) - plus, they're currently backordered two months and I would like to start before it gets cold.

So, making my own trailer from scratch is an option - that way I could get the exact dimensions I'm looking for. I don't weld but, I figure if all the Harbor Freight/Northern Tool trailers are bolted together anyway, what difference does it make if I buy all the pieces separately? I did find an axle and springs that are just about right but, with the cost of steel, that would really add up - probably ending up more expensive than the PWC trailer.

So, now I'm thinking about modifying one of the really tiny 40"x48" trailers from either Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. These are pretty easy to find gently used (or on sale). They're actually rated for MORE weight than that PWC trailer - about a thousand pounds will be plenty sufficient. But, they're not long enough. I've seen where people buy one long piece of steel tube and replace the tongue to make it longer for kayaks. That seems pretty doable. But, I would be left with a 48" long frame to attach a 78" cabin to. Would that be ok? Would I need to extend the frame? Maybe add smaller bars for an A-frame tongue?

...or is there some existing trailer out there that someone knows of that would be better-suited to my needs?
King Butter Turtle
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Frame for Extra Small/Narrow Teardrop

Postby JasenC » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:35 pm

Oops
Last edited by JasenC on Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby JasenC » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:44 pm

Welcome aboard, lots of good info here.

1/4" ext. and 1/8" int. with 2x2 framing and the foam core is plenty strong enough and will save you some weight, you could go as little as 3/8 ply foam core for the floor on something this small.

Why not the 4x8 NT trailer? it's less money and closer to your needs, only weights about 50 lbs more and nearly 3 times the load capacity which equates to stronger, you could cut a little off the back easy enough if you wanted to get it under 8'.

Have you checked steel prices, they are outrageous right now, at least around the Puget Sound. I couldn't find any trailers used worth the time and money, a lot of rotten tires and scaling rust.
That's why I went with the NT 5x8, there's a story there, which I welded together. I extended it 2' out the back plus 8" overhang on the sides.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby saywhatthat » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:07 pm

Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club