tires

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

tires

Postby mikevet » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:36 pm

im trying to put an AT style tire on my trailer. trying to get the overland trailer look and use. do they make an aggressive AT trailer tire or are people just using truck tires? i know there is difference between truck and trailer (st) tires.
mikevet
Teardrop Inspector

Re: tires

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:07 pm

I'll "just" be using LT (Light Truck) tires. Trailer tires generally have a fairly rounded crown without much, if any, side lug on the shoulders. This is so that on multi-axle set ups they tend to scrub less in tight maneuvering turns; which is a tendency for multiple non-steering axles. Typical trailer leaf springs are short in an attempt to keep multiple axles closer together, which also helps minimize scrub.

They're also designed to use high pressures for relatively high anticipated loads, and are expected to sit unused for long periods... both supported by very stiff sidewall designs.

But for our needs... i.e. single axle, relatively light loading and desired low ground contact pressures for soft terrain... knobby AT tires will work just fine. Longer automotive or light truck leaf springs of the proper load rating will provide a softer ride, too.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Captain Monkeyshines » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:58 pm

We use LT 255/85/16 tires on the CrowsWing. Same size as the truck so in a worst case scenario we have options for spares. They've been great on road and off.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
“When You're Alone”
When you're in the kitchen, you've got to behave
You don't put metal in the microwave
The knobs on the stove are “hands off” no doubt
And when you make toast, don't use a knife to fish it out!
When you're alone, when you're alone
You got to stay safe when you're home all alone.
When you're alone, when you're home all alone
You got to make sure not to die, or choke or burn the house down.
Captain Monkeyshines
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rjgimp » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:14 am

I spent over two decades driving semis so I totally understand the reasoning behind the design parameters of a "trailer" tire and the dynamics of a rig such tires are aimed at. As KC pointed out, a lightweight, single axle trailer ain't it. I tend to put automotive or light truck tires on anything with a single axle with a single tire on each side. They just ride better and the proper load range can generally be found.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby schnottus » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:26 pm

Just use truck tires. Hubs dont cost that much more for it and if you match to your tow vehicle you dont have to carry another spare. I use the same tires (265/70r17) as my 4runner, pulls great.
schnottus
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets