Balance

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Balance

Postby mikevet » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:50 pm

I am using a 5x8 utility trailer. I wanted to extend the trailer to 10 feet with plan of using the last 20 inches for my kitchen without moving axel. I am realizing that weight distribution is important. My plan was to put my batteries, propane tank and fridge in front the cabin to try to balance the weight.

I didn’t realize that putting weight not centered over axels can cause swaying. Is weight and swaying important in these light camper builds? Any suggestion or help? I may be getting over my head with this project.
mikevet
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Balance

Postby JasenC » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:43 pm

Theres more knowledgeable folks here, but typically for these builds people typically do a 70/30 for axle location.

Hers a TD weight calculator that may help. https://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/trailer-weight-balance.htm
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby dmdc411 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:07 am

60/40 is the general rule of thumb. So 70/30 would work if the batteries &fridge were in the rear. But, use the calculator see if you can make it work! Maybe start by building the floor and side walls, lay it all on the trailer to see where your weight/balance fall. Then throw weight on it to simulate batteries, fridge, mattress, etc. Might be fine. Shoot for 15% of trailer weight on the tongue. My td weighs in at 1100lbs. Tongue weight is 105lbs. For guessing on all of my build, it worked! But I don't have a battery to deal with! Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby friz » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:52 pm

One strategy is to wait to plan the location of a heavy item like a battery. That way, if you are a little off in your planning, you can use the placement of the heavy object to fine tune the weight and balance.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets