flexride and weight limit and ride quality

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

flexride and weight limit and ride quality

Postby fredo » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:13 am

have viewed the discussion on flexride and ground clearance and think I am going to go with a flexride half axle. I am planning on keeping it under 2000# but am wondering where I should be with the flexride in terms of axle to actual weight. is it better to be up near 80% or greater of the 2000# rated axles or like 50% of the 3500# rated axle? the 2000# has 7" drums w/ electric brakes but the 3500# has 10". I was thinking of using some nice 14" or 15" radial tires. the price difference is not enough to say. I just want a problem free trailer that rides nice. no boondocking just the nice little trip up the north shore a few times a summer but I am not sure on the exact weight of my 5X10 build w/ 5' sidewalls. any thoughts will be appreciated.
fredo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: flexride and weight limit and ride quality

Postby twisted lines » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:32 am

My 2 cent’s 80 & 2K
Unloaded 3500 lb may break dishes, they bounce hard.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: flexride and weight limit and ride quality

Postby gudmund » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:58 pm

when picking brakes, something more to think about = 7in brakes do cost - when buying replacements shoes - about the same as buying 10in brakes - and 10in brakes/drums are 'more' commonly stocked making them easier to find replacements for, being this is the most commonly used brake set-up on most RV trailers. Also axles using 10in brakes use a larger 'inside' bearing than the 7in axles (but both axles bearing are 'very' common and very easy to find, if & when needed down the road - it just that the larger bearing would be a bit more HD) = just something more to think about :thinking: take care
gudmund
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets