trailer tongue

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

trailer tongue

Postby fredo » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:08 am

Two part question but forgive me if I do not know all of the trailer terminology, yet.

1) I am planning a TD on a 5'X10" trailer that I am going to build out of 2x2x.125 so my first question is what does the long center member add to the trailer integrity that goes from coupler back to frame (see below) if you are using a coupler made for an A-frame setup and you weld in a cross brace a few feet behind coupler parallel to first frame?

2) I have seen a couple vids recently where people have put a hitch receiver up front in that 8" area on diagram and then can either put different couplers on or use it as a removable coupler for theft deterrent - any thoughts on the pros vs the cons?

fredo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: trailer tongue

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:55 am

So often, in light duty utility trailers, the OEM skimps on material so much that they only use a single member tongue. Sometimes the wall thickness can be a little on the thin side for my taste, and the stick out length, as well as the extension to the 2nd xmbr very short. All this in an effort to minimize material use and achieve some predetermined entry level market price point.

This can compromise maneuverability (axle and front too close to TV), and durability, especially when fitted with an offset/clamp on tongue jack that tends to put twist into the tongue when deployed.

People will often replace an original straight tongue with a longer, stronger member, that reaches further back (for strength) and forward (for better towing and backing behavior).

Most of the time a three member A-frame tongue is the result of people beefing up a single member tongue; the center member already exists or has been extended and the diagonal sides are added to stiffen the center against bending and twist. A scratch built 2-member A-frame tongue that extends adequatly under the trailer frame does not require a center member. Any extra crossmember forward of the first main bed crossmember does not add appreciable strength and would typically only be needed to attach a tongue box (although this could also be done with tabs or clips).

Having a center member that extends past the front of the 'A' part can improve turning clearance or add clearance for a TV tailgate or tailgate mounted spair tire, but this creates a point of stress at the tip of the 'A'.

The removable front coupler can not only be used as a security device, but if made to telescope, can also be useful for handling, or even fuel economy. In the closed up/short position the trailer could tuck into the TV slip stream better, and maneuvering in tight quarters, such as a twisty tree lined trail would be better, but backing would be more sensitive to driver input, and would be generally less forgiving. In the extended position, the trailer might behave nicer at higher speeds, such as on the highway (tho aero mileage may suffer a bit), and would make backing up easier where space is available. But careful design is needed to make sure there is always adequate overlap at the telescoping section, and that the end of the outer tube is reinforced to prevent the tube wall from splitting open (like on a receiver hitch).

Making the transition between extended and retracted could also be sketchy while hitched up, especially on a heavier camper or when a lot of forward weight is on the tongue.

Just some thoughts on the matter.
Last edited by KCStudly on Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:09 pm

I suppose that, with some clever design work, a stop system could be developed that would allow one to chock the trailer wheels, pull the locating pin, drive forward or back until the telescoping mechanism clunks against the said stop with the locating pin holes perfectly aligned, reinstall the pin, unchock the wheels and drive away. Care would be needed not to weaken either member and to still be able to take it apart for the security aspect.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:42 pm

I really like the option of removing the coupler for security.

The vertical receiver is for a bike rack.

By the way, I had an A-frame coupler with a center jack on my last teardrop. I much prefer the weld-on rotating jack.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:50 pm

[quote="tony.latham"]I really like the option of removing the coupler for security.

I too built my trailer like this for security and having the option for a lock n roll type hitch and a longer tongue for highway towing. Another possible benefit is if you lengthen the tongue, the tongue weight will decrease. My TV is a Jeep JK with a max TW of 200lbs so TW is a concern for me and my build.

Here is a good clear and concise article on this subject. https://mechanicalelements.com/correct- ... ue-length/
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Postby fredo » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:40 pm

thank all of you for sharing. I like the idea of a removable coupler and also the swivel front trailer jack. it seems like a lot of extra cranking with the non-swiveling type.
fredo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kokomoto » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:17 pm

Like Tony, I installed a removeable tongue. For added security, I drilled a hole in the side of the tongue that allows me to put a motorcycle disc lock on the trailer. Even if someone was has a tongue to slide into the trailer, they'll have to cut through the disc lock to slide it in.
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby Gulfcoast » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:10 am

I bought a new 6x12 cargo trailer that has the shortest tongue they could build. I just bought the metal to extend it to 4 ft. I won't be happy with anything shorter.
6x12 cargo trailer - Mini Split A/C - Starlink - TMobile home internet
Gulfcoast
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets