Routing brake lines

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Routing brake lines

Postby Mpgator » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:22 pm

First time poster here. I’ve been reading and designing my teardrop with a lot of the resources here (and Tony’s book!).

I have my trailer frame designed and am wondering how the brake lines are routed from the hubs to the front connector. I know that tony uses a welded pipe in the middle member, but once it leaves that section, how does it get routed to the brakes? How are the cables held in place? Any photos would be helpful. Thanks!
Mpgator
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Routing brake lines

Postby tony.latham » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:23 pm

Mpgator wrote:First time poster here. I’ve been reading and designing my teardrop with a lot of the resources here (and Tony’s book!).

I have my trailer frame designed and am wondering how the brake lines are routed from the hubs to the front connector. I know that tony uses a welded pipe in the middle member, but once it leaves that section, how does it get routed to the brakes? How are the cables held in place? Any photos would be helpful. Thanks!

I used these adhesive cable tie pads. They were applied just after the paint was cured so bone clean.

https://www.amazon.com/HS-Mounts-Adhesive-Mounting-Squares/dp/B078P8TPPZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1L0E46MYJ5WLN&keywords=cable+adhesive+clips+wire+ties&qid=1660947728&sprefix=cable+adhesive+clips+wire+ties%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUFQwOTc3Nk9aN0NQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTgzNjI4MTIyV05ITUZCWEY4SCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODQ0MDM1WU83QTY4ODVRTEc4JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

None have come loose.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Philip » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:49 am

I use these style clamps for mounting wiring and tubing on automotive/trailers.

https://www.amazon.com/Solarson-Stainle ... 3D&sr=8-13

A good parts store keeps those in stock. They are normally not on a self-help rack.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:58 am

I use these style clamps ...

Adel clamps are certainly a bomb-proof way of running wiring. :thumbs-up:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets