Tongue Boxes with Slide outs or Side Doors

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tongue Boxes with Slide outs or Side Doors

Postby bharding » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:57 pm

Hello.. All,

I have started my build and have most of my frame complete. I am in the process of installing my Timbren suspension, brakes and hubs. I have been thinking about a tongue box and I really like the design of the Black Bean tongue box. The box has doors on each side with slide outs for batteries, extra cooler, storage... The reason I really like this design is because I plan to borrow their idea of putting my bike racks on top of my tongue box. I have found the bike racks that they use but I cannot find a tongue box with side entry doors. Does anyone know of a source for these. I think Bean manufactures their own.

Thanks, Brian
Attachments
Black Bean Tongue Box.jpg
Black Bean Tongue Box.jpg (913.62 KiB) Viewed 285 times
Black Bean Tongue Box Slide Out.jpg
Black Bean Tongue Box Slide Out.jpg (655.06 KiB) Viewed 285 times
bharding
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tongue Boxes with Slide outs or Side Doors

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:37 am

That's a big TB. Looks like it is accompanied by a very long tongue.

Just some thoughts that might help you with the design of your own box, if you go that way:
I don't have slide outs, but I did make my battery compartment isolated to one side, in the lower portion of the TB. The battery compartment is only accessible from a removable side cover (yet to be finished :oops: ). This arrangement makes it so that the battery compartment can be vented separately and isolated from the electronics located in the weather sealed main compartment of the TB (fuse panel, smart battery charger, and potentially the solar charge controller... the later of which is currently mounted to the portable panel... will be mounted in the main compartment). In addition to the rear facing marine vent stuffed with mesh material to keep bugs out, I included floor drains (with future bug screens) and lined the whole compartment with epoxy/fiberglass; that way I can treat any future battery acid corrosion (from the traditional wet cell lead acid battery) with a baking soda slurry and hose the whole compartment out without affecting the electronics in the separate main compartment.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets