Northern Tool 5 X 8 underslung axel U-bolts

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Northern Tool 5 X 8 underslung axel U-bolts

Postby EZ » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:14 pm

Been a very long time since I have visited or posted here. I have built a new travel trailer (Pigeon Coupe II) for which I intend on doing a build journal. For now I am suggesting that anyone doing an under-slung axle on a NT (or Harbor Freight) trailer upgrade the U-bolts, as the entire weight of the trailer will be hanging by them. I previously replaced mine with custom ordered 7/16" u-bolts and felt a lot more confident, especially after comparing them to the stock ones. I have since replaced my entire axle - the original had the spindles welded crooked. I never noticed, drove to to Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park and back (to Mpls, MN) ending with bald tires which were new before that trip. I know many posts have told about going 10,000 miles with no issues on an NT (or HF) trailer, but not this one.

Since NT told me no new axle available - back-ordered and maybe 6 months to a year (or never) I was forced to purchase a different (round) axle. So now I have these great u-bolts (square) and would like to bless someone else with them. $30 plus actual shipping cost. I paid $60+

I also have 2 spindles with bearings, etc. (about 500 miles on them) and a never used set of seals/bearings that I had for a road spare. All for a 1" spindle. Message me if you are interested in any of this. Not sure if this should be in the For Sale section or not......... That seems to be mostly trailers.

Ed

EZ
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets