Wonderer 10

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Wonderer 10

Postby cdlwingnut » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:30 pm

I've been looking at the wonderer 8 and 10 plans and have decided on the wonderer 10 layout B design. The plans say it can be built on the 4' by 8' Harbor Freight trailer. my local store has them in stock and am thinking of picking one up while supplies last. I roughly estimated the weight of the trailer, floor, and structure materials and come up with about 650 lbs. I figured full sheets of plywood and didn't subtract any for cutoff of play and boards. This should give me plenty of weight for beds and a rudimentary galley. I don't plan anything fancy just the double bed at one end with a bit of storage under it, and the table/singe bed at the other.

If this is too much of a stretch the wonderer 8 layout A without the potty would work for us but not as well. Something that can sleep 3 would be optimum.

I am decent at wood work, and can build light, recent project was a wooden single seat airplane.

Is this safely doable on the Harbor Freight trailer like the plans

has anyone built one of these before?
cdlwingnut
Teardrop Builder

Re: Wonderer 10

Postby KCStudly » Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:29 pm

Welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:

I can't speak to the HF trailer, but I would be very interested to learn more about your home built airplane. Do you have a build blog? If so, please share!
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby cdlwingnut » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:17 pm

since you asked here is a build log for the airplane. I need to finish the log though
https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/foru ... iet.27165/
cdlwingnut
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wendellnla » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:04 pm

I am looking at that same build, although I’m thinking I (or the wife) will be better served by Wanderer 10 plan A2, with the built in porta potty room.

Have you made any progress towards your build?

I’m not a big fan of Harbor Freight stuff, but it should be adequate if kept on the lighter end. But I think the tires are rated at too low a speed for modern highway travel, and should be replaced. Suitable replacement tire/wheel combos are $130 each, last I checked. I would get 3, 2 to roll on, 1 spare, for a total of $390+tax in addition to the trailer.

I’m am leaning towards buying a cheap tent trailer ($2-400 ish)for the frame and building up from there, using the Wanderer plans as study plans, along with other plans available online to create a custom trailer in the 10-12’ range.
With a tent trailer, I get a bunch of other goodies in addition to the frame, that may be usable for the build.

Regards,

Wendell
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets