Which Harbor Freight Trailer to Buy?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Which Harbor Freight Trailer to Buy?

Postby Steambc » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:35 pm

I am in a position where I must watch the pennies torrentially pouring out of my piggy-bank, and I think the best bang for my buck will be with a Harbor Freight trailer.

I see they have two different ones. One is rated for 1195 lbs and has a 4 lug wheel, while the other is rated for 1720 lbs with a 5 lug wheel with tires that are .5" wider. I don't see a heck of a lot of other differences between the two. The trailers are $499 and $549 respectively.

Is there a favorite among the Harbor Freight builders here? One would of course assume that it's better to go for the higher capacity, but I thought it would be best to make sure I'm not missing something that everyone knows but me.

Thanks!
Steambc
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Which Harbor Freight Trailer to Buy?

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:46 pm

I wouldn't recommend either Harbor Freight trailers.
Two members of this forum had the tongue break after in use for a period of time.
I bought a welder and a welding DVD and learned how to make my own substantial chassis.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby philpom » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:09 pm

If you are going to get the HF trailer you should get the 1720 lb one, you are paying for a stronger axle and hubs basically. That's what I am building on. Check out Northern Tools also for other options.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:11 pm

Buy the larger of the two trailers. There have been a few failures with the HF trailers but far more have been trouble free with proper maintenance and don't over build on them. I built on one that has been all over the country. Many on here have used that trailer without issues. I will say that the tires are not the best and the tongue can be beefed up with a center tube extension.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Steambc » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:15 am

Thank you, guys. I know the Harbor Freight base isn't ideal, but I think I'll manage pretty well with it. I'm looking to build as light as I can so as not to stress my SUV's smallish engine and transmission, and I do intend to weld in some reinforcement.

Regarding the failures, is it known if the tongue weights were excessive?

I'll go ahead with the heavier trailer. I'm looking forward to this build and figuring out how to ask my questions without rolling too many eyes! :roll:
Steambc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Graniterich » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:01 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Buy the larger of the two trailers. There have been a few failures with the HF trailers but far more have been trouble free with proper maintenance and don't over build on them. I built on one that has been all over the country. Many on here have used that trailer without issues. I will say that the tires are not the best and the tongue can be beefed up with a center tube extension.
1720 has solid axle, 1195 axel is u shaped Chanel!

Sent from my KFTRWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:12 am

If weight is a primary concern, Northern Tools has an aluminum 5 x 8 that's about 100 pounds less than the steel one. You do pay some for less weight.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets