Replacement Axle

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Replacement Axle

Postby Hubbs » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:17 am

Good Morning.......I'm new to TnTTT and planning to build one. I recently bought a nice 4x8 trailer. The drawback is that the axel is welded dead center to the frame. Of course, this will interfere with the door placement and I'm assuming the trailer will not pull properly. I found out that the axel is one from a motorhome and has strange lug nuts. I was just going to move the axel but have no clue as to where. I've read that most axels are placed 60% from the tongue ? I'm also not sure what kind of axel I should be looking for. I'm a woodworker so building the teardrop shouldn't be too hard. I just need to get the trailer squared away first. I want to make sure it is safe to pull for me and everyone else out on the road. Thank you for any suggestions or advice.
Last edited by Hubbs on Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hubbs
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Replacement Axel

Postby twisted lines » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:35 am

several guys around here know of a website with replacement parts for trailers that size.
On that site is a kit for replacing the axle? that should make it very easy.

compactcampingstore.com/products/camping-trailer-spring-kit
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hubbs » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:50 pm

Thank you for this information. It is a starting point !
Hubbs
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:53 pm

I've read that most axels are placed 60% from the tongue ?

For a double axle trailer, you include the tongue length to develop the 60% point. For a single axle, it's 60% from the front of the chassis frame. Me? I like torsion axles.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Replacement Axle

Postby Hubbs » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:31 pm

Thank you Tony. I will be doing a single axle and did understand the 60% measurement. I will also check on the torsion axle when I go to find a replacement. My other question is how do I measure for a replacement ?
Hubbs
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:37 pm

Hubbs wrote:Thank you Tony. I will be doing a single axle and did understand the 60% measurement. I will also check on the torsion axle when I go to find a replacement. My other question is how do I measure for a replacement ?

This is what I order for a 59.5" wide chassis.

Axle Order Details
• #9 Dexter Torflex axle, downrated to 1600 pounds
• Start Angle: 22.5” down
• Trailer width: 59.5”
• Hub face: 74”
• Hub diameter: 6.5”
• Bolt Pattern: 5 on 4-1/2” with standard studs
• Lubrication: EZ Lube
• Electric Brakes: Yes

:thumbsup:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hubbs » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:58 am

This is awesome information Tony and I appreciate it. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I think I'm going to go to one of our local trailer shops to see if they have anything I can use.
I've got a guy at work who is a fantastic welder so I'm fortunate to have this service available to me. I'm really excited to start building. I've also been watching a guy on Youtube.....Jay Poore.
He has some really great videos that have given me so much to think about. I've also considered doing a cargo trailer conversion too. Just too many wonderful ideas out there.
Thanks again......I'll keep you posted.
Hubbs
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets