NT 5x8 trailer, axle suggestion

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

NT 5x8 trailer, axle suggestion

Postby Brankulo » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:01 pm

fairly new member here, but i have been coming to this forum for a while now. finally decided to pull trigger on Northern Tool 5x8 trailer and start my build.
as the title suggests, i am looking to replace axles for something suitable for highway and some light offroad. i live in Colorado and will mostly be using for bike trips and some hiking. now while most of the biking trailheads have good access, some hiking trailheads and camping spots are rougher. i will not be doing heavy offroading, my pull vehicle will be Audi Q5, so it is not exactly your heavy duty off roader anyway.
now i am aware of sticky called "Dexter Torsion Axle on Northen Tool 5x8 kit" and from the most part, i am planning to do mimic the mods outlined in the thread and in Zachs x-cubed build thread.
however, i wanted to check with the community if this is the go to mod, as the thread is fairly old and no updates since 2021.
pricewise, even though the price is higher these days, it still pretty reasonable.
should i be considering any other axles instead?

from zachs thread, here is what he listed as what he ordered for the axle:
- Dexter Torflex #9 - de-rated for 1800lbs
- 22.5 degree down start angle
- for 60" outside bracket-to-bracket, 73" hub face-to-face
- 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern, on 6.5" idler hubs (for 12-15" wheels)

will there be anything else needed? i sort of remember seeing that he ordered something else separately (i want to say springs but i am not 100% sure)

also attaching mockup of my design just for fun. the main focus was to be able to fit in 2 mountain bikes inside while being able to still sleep inside.
Brankulo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: NT 5x8 trailer, axle suggestion

Postby DJ Davis » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:29 am

Brankulo,

I went with 1400 lb Flexiride torsion half axles and made my own cross brace to mount them on my HF 4' x 8' trailer. Check out "Step 17" of my build log on Instructables, the link is below. Contact me for more info if needed.

My foamie is around 1100 lbs dry weight, so I try to limit my loaded weight as you shouldn't load up more than 85% of your axle's rating in terms of gear. In my case, 1400 x .85 = 1190 lbs. Depending on how much gear you plan to haul in the trailer and its final dry weight, you might want to consider going up to the next level with the 2000 lb half axles. That's going to be my next "upgrade" on my camper.

https://www.instructables.com/Home-buil ... op-Camper/ If this link doesn't open, type in "Instructables;" "DJ Davis;" "Home-built Teardrop Camper" and that should bring you to the link.
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby Brankulo » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:55 pm

thanks for another tip. any idea what would eb the pros/cons of torsion half axles vs dexter axle?
nice that you did your welding yourself. i do want to learn welding as well.
how did you figure out where to position your new axles? there is some info in this section but lot of links are broken and the one for approximating trailer weight and balance point does not work either? or did you just use 36" from back for 8' trailer suggestion?

thanks
ah, also, on images of your brace attachment, one side looks different than other. any particular reason why?
Brankulo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:42 pm

the pros/cons of torsion half axles vs dexter axle?

The Dexter will have camber and be much easier to align.

And you can have the Dexter axle down-rated from 2200 pounds to whatever weight your teardrop will hit.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets