Fire Extinguishers, Smoke Alarms, Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Fire Extinguishers, Smoke Alarms, Carbon Monoxide Detect

Postby Staryder61 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:41 pm

M C Toyer wrote:I've seen occasional mention of fire extinguishers in galleys but am wondering how many include smoke alarms there and in the sleeping compartment.
I also have a carbon monoxide detector in my sleeping compartment. I hadn't used the trailer since last December and had forgotten about it but when I was getting ready for Loyd Park the chirping reminded me to change all the batteries.
M C

Reading through old posts, I figured this one should be bumped..
Me having been a fireman for years in the past in a rural area. I have seen many a fire in vehicles, small and large campers and around them.
Some could have been avoided by having a fire extinguisher readily available. They are not expensive, and take up little room.

Equip your camper with smoke detectors, carbon dioxide, and carbon monoxide detectors. They may just save your life or someone else.
I have also been on dispatched calls, where lives were lost. By not having one or another of the above mentioned detectors.

Life is to precious not to protect it. Purchase your fire extinguishers and detectors, familiarize yourself with them. Know how to use them.

Wild fires are flaring up everywhere where every one lives. When you go camping, check local laws and ordinances on open burning. Many areas have Burn Bans in affect now. Thousands and thousands of acres of wild fires are flaring up burning more and more areas.

Stay safe, David

Our CTC
6' X 12' CTC = Texas Sized Tackle Box
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=74704
Staryder61
Silver Donating Member

Postby nbcarey » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:52 am

M C Toyer wrote:I've seen occasional mention of fire extinguishers in galleys but am wondering how many include smoke alarms there and in the sleeping compartment.

I also have a carbon monoxide detector in my sleeping compartment. I hadn't used the trailer since last December and had forgotten about it but when I was getting ready for Loyd Park the chirping reminded me to change all the batteries.

Unless you have so,me sort of CO source in your sleeping compartment — wood stove, kerosene/paraffin heater/etc., there's not much point in a CO detector/alarm.

Smoke detectors are cheap insurance, if for not other reason than electric faults are a thing. One could save your life.

A CO2 (carbon dioxide) detector/alarm would have probably miles more utility than a CO detector. In a tightly sealed cabin, CO2 levels can pretty quickly build to dangerous levels.
nbcarey
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bruce R Leech » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:45 pm

I am just in the planning stages and buying materials for my tear drop project right now this is something I hadn't given thought to but now that you mentioned it is something I need to give thought to is very important both items will be going into my tear drop.
Bruce
Bruce R Leech
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bruce R Leech » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:49 am

It seems like more people would die in a tear drop from suffocation of carbon dioxide and a close contained space like that. A carbon monoxide detector will not detect abnormally high amounts of carbon dioxide which is what you exhale when you breathe it seems to meThe carbon dioxide detector would be much more in demand for this use than a carbon monoxide detector.
Bruce R Leech
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops