Side Vents

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Side Vents

Postby JMailbox8 » Sat May 27, 2023 5:45 pm

Are side vents like the ones on an enclosed utility trailer necessary on a travel trailer? You know, the ones where one is facing forward in the front up high and one facing backward down low in the rear on the opposite side. I was told they keep the trailer cooler when traveling, and the also prevent negative pressure from developing inside while traveling (the theory being negative pressure will make water seep in when traveling in a rainstorm). Any thoughts?
JMailbox8
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Side Vents

Postby twisted lines » Sat May 27, 2023 6:32 pm

Works great in a boat,
Not over my pillow :thinking:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat May 27, 2023 7:00 pm

and the also prevent negative pressure from developing inside while traveling...

That's caused by low pressure from the airfoil effect (of a teardrop-shaped body) lifting up the unsupported corner of a Fantastic Fan. Get a Maxxair, and you won't have that issue.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby JMailbox8 » Sat May 27, 2023 8:40 pm

tony.latham wrote:
and the also prevent negative pressure from developing inside while traveling...

That's caused by low pressure from the airfoil effect (of a teardrop-shaped body) lifting up the unsupported corner of a Fantastic Fan. Get a Maxxair, and you won't have that issue.

Tony

I’m building a square drop camper. I have a Maxxair Maxxfan Deluxe for it anyways. Frank Bear at Vintage Technologies said they’re a good thing to have, but I’m not sure how useful it will be, and I’m just a tad concerned about how much dust it’ll allow in So Tony, you think I’d be fine without them?
JMailbox8
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sat May 27, 2023 11:18 pm

and I’m just a tad concerned about how much dust it’ll allow in So Tony, you think I’d be fine without them?

The Maxxair won't allow any dust in, and you won't need any additional ventilation, assuming you have a window on both sidewalls that are screened.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Mon May 29, 2023 8:40 am

I installed side vents and find them very effective when used in conjunction with the fan. They allow a ton of air to be pulled in and circulate through the the trailer. I also have windows that open which also allow air intake. We don't necessarily leave the vents open when on the road but I suppose we could. I placed bug screen on the inside of the vents to prevent gnat sized bugs from being pulled in.

John
Attachments
IMG_6599 Medium.jpeg
IMG_6599 Medium.jpeg (81.33 KiB) Viewed 715 times
IMG_6923 Medium.jpeg
IMG_6923 Medium.jpeg (139.82 KiB) Viewed 715 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops