Water Proofing Screws

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Water Proofing Screws

Postby Tomterrific » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Many water proof screws by putting varnish or paint in the screw hole. Some dip the screw. I did this and I did something extra that I really like.

I used finish washers and filled them with a caulk bedding compound called rope caulk. The washers have a concave bottom and I filled this with a non hardening caulk that is similar to modeling clay. The caulk squeezes out as the screw tightens sealing the screw completely. Finish washers look great too.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Re: Water Proofing Screws

Postby working on it » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:01 pm

* I've used three things to waterproof my screws, bolts, any hole at all in the skin.
  • 1) squirt a dab of Loctite PL Premium adhesive into each hole, then wrap the threads with another dab...surely some will stick to every spot of the wood (and it makes a great thread-locker),
  • 2) I've used Gorilla contact cement in some places that'll have some overflow, it dries clear and is waterproof,
  • 3) I've also used Rustoleum Acrylic Enamel Gloss Crystal Clear Spray Paint to spray over the bolts, washers, and acorn nuts sticking thru my roof...it's waterproof, UV-resistant, and I do this every other year to be sure (my TTT spends 95% of the time in my dark garage).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops