Recos for buying the trailer frame

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Recos for buying the trailer frame

Postby wannabefree » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:59 pm

greygoos wrote:I believe this frame was built from wood on this site but if you look further into it the frame eventually failed. gallery/image_page.php?album_id=2052&image_id=9108

Interesting use of oak. A shame he lost it. I hope no one was hurt in the process. I still think the steel A frame has promise and can be built without welding, but I will also add: by the time you are done with a build you will have put your heart and soul into the thing. As with a house, the foundation is no place to try to save money. Build that as strong as you can, cut corners anywhere else if you must, but don't skimp on the frame.
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Postby iconicflux » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:39 pm

Graniterich wrote:Not trying to start anything, but I have towed thousands of miles at 75 mph for decades using harbor freight trailers. Just want to set the record straight. 45 is lawyer speak

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

I've seen premature wear on tires because they put bad ones on the cheap trailers but after I replaced the tires mine has been great at 75mph.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Postby working on it » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:05 am

iconicflux wrote:
Graniterich wrote:Not trying to start anything, but I have towed thousands of miles at 75 mph for decades using harbor freight trailers. Just want to set the record straight. 45 is lawyer speak

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

I've seen premature wear on tires because they put bad ones on the cheap trailers but after I replaced the tires mine has been great at 75mph.

* As a point of reference, I looked at the Carlisle Tires website https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/(I used to run bias-ply Carlisles , before I switched to LT's on my 4x8). All their ST bias-ply tires are rated for 62 mph, and ST radials at 75 to 81 mph (depends on size). Previously I had run my ancient (12 years old), patched, cracked Carlisle bias-plies at 70-75 mph, and decided that it was time for newer, higher speed-rated LT tires (27/8.5-14LT), before the ST tires failed.

* My wheels are 14", axle is 3500 lbs, and my trailer is heavy (over 2000 lbs)...I can't imagine using less-capable tires on it as I once did. I can't drive 55!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby wannabefree » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:23 pm

Interesting post, @working. I have always needed a tire when I needed a tire and bought whatever the shop had. Probably explains why I have shed tread more times than I want to admit. So where does one get these wonderful tires? Do you go to an RV shop, or will the local tire store order them up? It never even occurred to me that tires would be "speed rated." Gads, and I thought I knew everything :)
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Postby wannabefree » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Folks, sorry for all the duplicate posts. I was getting a sql error on submitting and naturally assumed that meant they didn't post. Silly me. I deleted them, but not until several hours had passed.
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops