"Drifta" style slide out kitchen

Lets captures all those good off road construction ideas here...

Moderator: Sonetpro

"Drifta" style slide out kitchen

Postby jakejakejake » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:09 pm

I stumbled my way over here from the foamie section, but I figured this discussion would be more suited to the off-road crowd.

I'm planning on slide out style kitchen in my foamie.

This Australian design really caught my eye.

I like that it has no expensive drawer slides, and is easily used stand alone.

Are any of you running a slide out kitchen? Things you would add or not do a second time?
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Re: "Drifta" style slide out kitchen

Postby JasenC » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:56 pm

If you wanna learn how to camp right, listen to the Aussies, they don't mess around.

This is pretty slick, looks like a pull out sink, which kind of has me thinking, I'm already planning a pull out stove top :thinking:
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby jakejakejake » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:23 pm

JasenC wrote:If you wanna learn how to camp right, listen to the Aussies, they don't mess around.

That's about all the verification that I need!

this style slide out is common in the overlanding world.

"Slides on slides" if you will. The coffee table hinge countertop/ storage is a nice touch on this one too. I just cant bring myself to pay for the slides.
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:15 pm

jakejakejake wrote:I stumbled my way over here from the foamie section, but I figured this discussion would be more suited to the off-road crowd.

I'm planning on slide out style kitchen in my foamie.

This Australian design really caught my eye.

I like that it has no expensive drawer slides, and is easily used stand alone.

Are any of you running a slide out kitchen? Things you would add or not do a second time?

What your picture shows is a "stand alone" style but it would be fairly easy to build at least the one part as a slide-out. Many people have used drawer slides for their cook-top area and they work well. However, the other part of the "L" shape might take a little extra engineering as your would need to leave a little extra room so that counter top could be pivoted and slide over top of the other. Also, the shelf on the right side of the "L" might need to be removable, as would the legs, so it wouldn't interfere with the drawer slides.. But there is another alternative that I have seen and that is where there is a slide-out on each side of the galley. I'll see if I can find a picture of what I'm trying to describe.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby twisted lines » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:55 pm

Chuck boxes will give you a Google.
I am dragging my tail on this area;
Because #1 is usable
& am afraid of the slides :lol:
Another option
Thanks.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:18 pm

Here is a picture of Halfdome Danny's Oven-stove combo, slid in..:.

If you look here, scroll down a bit and you'll find one of Danny's posts, with a picture of his galley in his signature line, with his oven-stove combo slid out. (Scroll down almost to the bottom. You'll know it when you see it.)...:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74899

You could very easily make one of those on each side of your galley.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jakejakejake » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:19 pm

S. Heisley wrote: What your picture shows is a "stand alone" style but it would be fairly easy to build at least the one part as a slide-out.

That's really the beauty of this design! I think 90% of the time I will use it in this configuration:

For stand alone use you just slide it out further and swing down the second set of legs.

I like the idea of the extra counter space that the return provides, but I don't see myself using it a lot. Maybe it gets left at home for shorter/less kitchen heavy trips?

twisted lines wrote:I am dragging my tail on this area; Because #1 is usable

These things are never really done, are they? I too suffer from the almost finished project sickness!
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:40 pm

Ah! You're thinking of having a slide out on the side so it slides under the bed! Yes, we've had a few of those here. You do have to be careful of water leaking in around the edges on that style. Sorry, this site is so old that it's hard to find pictures anymore. Many of the links are broken.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jakejakejake » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:58 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Ah! You're thinking of having a slide out on the side so it slides under the bed!

Exactly! I probably could have articulated that a little better.

here's a few shots of my build for reference
It will have a single swing up rear door
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:48 pm

I think Sharon is right. That looks like a "folding knife" style pullout ("=" my term for it, not necessarily a searchable design style). Sure looks to me like the whole thing slides out, then the right side "wing" (or "sheath") with over/under shelf folds out to expose the drop down sink basin (or cook stove) counter area. Looks to be built light enough... perhaps too light for any serious cooking tasks. Cool design, though.
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:57 pm

There are a number of people who have built slide-out galleys that pull out from the back of their vehicle in their vans. Your truck set-up might be perfect for that. Check out the many U-Tube videos of minivan builds for examples.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:17 pm

Just buy a Rivian truck with it built in. Just $5000. (or just borrow a few ideas from them)

https://www.google.com/search?q=rivian+ ... J3o1Y,st:0
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:38 pm

using the 2inch receiver (intended for a bicycle rack) that came on the rear of my trailer when new, I have installed a "Fleming Sales Outdoors #20202 Griddle-N-Stow" 12inX24in swing arm folding table off the rear of my trailer. Have never liked the use of a cooking stove 'inside' the teardrop rear hatch area which is why I have always, either used my outside trailer side table or available camp-site table when cooking. A couple years ago, after seeing one of these on the back of a big RV, I ended up purchasing one of their first versions - only to have them make a 'newer' version a couple of months later that I liked better. So a few hundred $$$ later, it works GREAT! The whole set-up is totally removeable from the 2in receiver (which I end-up doing every so often when having to use the Wash. State Ferry system = when mounted it puts my total combined (PU/trailer) length just over 30 ft, thus costing me a surcharge of $10 extra = pulling the pin and putting it in the back of the PU when crossing for re-installment later.) What's nice about set-up is, I always have a cook/prep table available when on the road for use anywhere along the way when traveling/camped. I did end-up having another receiver welded between the trailer center one and the passenger's side thus placing the table's swing arm hinge pivot point right at the trailer's right rear corner, which helped in opening up access to the rear galley area when stored, along with now having even more open access to the table from either side when open for cooking use when camped. The table is made with 4 holes pre-drilled
for the use of either a 17in or 22in Blackstone stove. Set either of them on the table and their stove feet drop into the holes locking the stove in place when using......................just 'another' idea, that might be of some interest to someone out there :thinking:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby jakejakejake » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:06 pm

Here's a couple of shots of how things are coming along. Obviously the table is just temporary, Ill add some swing down adjustable legs at both ends in the coming days. The 'Strailian guys use what looks to be emt conduit or similar.
jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jakejakejake » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:20 am

jakejakejake
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Offroad Construction Secrets