Hi from Baton Rouge

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi from Baton Rouge

Postby orourkmw » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:14 pm

I’m Mike, building my first teardrop. I am mostly following Tony Latham’s book, but it’s going to be part woody. I built a wood strip kayak a few years ago and plan to translate those techniques. If you’re familiar with the cover of Matt Berger’s book, you’ll see kinda what I have in mind…the exterior sidewalls will be aluminum sheathing on the bottom, and fiberglassed wood strips on the top half. I plan the whole hatch to be a wood strip design. Still don’t know about the roof exterior….but I know I can avoid a lot of upkeep if I don’t go with wood up top.

I have already built the sidewalls, finished the interior side, and am now stripping. I couldn’t find any 1/8” Baltic birch anywhere around here, so the interior walls are poplar ply. I found a shop in Houston that gets the 1/8” in, and hope to find 10 sheets or so to do the headliner and roof and make a trip over next month. I plan to build the cabin first and then the chassis later (though I’m not a welder).

So far I’ve studied the build journals of and GarthB and JoeGrz. I am really grateful to have tnttt as a resource, though I haven’t become very adept at figuring out how to fully use the site (for instance, can I find all the build journals that followed Tony’s plan?). Although I have done several smaller projects before, this will be the biggest both in terms of complexity and cost. I don’t worry about the structural part of the cabin so much, but I sure hope the appearance doesn’t end up looking amateurish….hoping you all can help me through the inevitable rough spots!
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Re: Hi from Baton Rouge

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:44 pm

Mike:

You might visit this guy's build. He used my book too but also went down the cedar-strip rabbit hole. Their teardrop is gorgeous of course.

Holle if you have questions about that discombobulated book. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby orourkmw » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:22 pm

Tony:
Let me add my thanks to the countless others for all the work you’ve done to produce the book, and for all the help you give on this forum. You have figured out the hard part, which really allows someone like me to “follow your putt” and tackle the project with at least a degree of confidence.

There was no link to the other cedar strip build that you referenced…I wonder if I need to change a setting?
Mike
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:08 pm

There was no link to the other cedar strip build that you referenced…I wonder if I need to change a setting?

Try this link to his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN9ky_l7s6USQP8Qn6MjqnA

And thanks for the compliment. My teardrop book was a serious project for this kid. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby edwardjessep » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:25 am

Good luck to all of you
edwardjessep
Teardrop Inspector

Postby orourkmw » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:04 am

Tony:
Thanks for the link to FloraBama. He gives good detail. I see he didn't remove his 2" roof piece, whereas I did, so being able to strip it will take a little different approach than he took. I've started a build journal and will give any updates or questions there.
Thanks,
Mike
orourkmw
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves