Newbie from MN

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie from MN

Postby 2one8 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:04 pm

Hi all. Newbie here to lurk and put together plan ideas for a build I will be starting soon.

I do week+ long backpacking trips, sometimes solo, but usually with a good buddy of mine. The girlfriend isn't keen on being in the woods for 5+ days without a shower, so I wanted to build this trailer so she can set up at glampgrounds while I am out on the trail. This will allow us to bring the dog, and allow someone to be on stand-by in the case of emergencies, resupplies, etc. Eventually I would like to build a simple but functional overland trailer as well.

Also, the anti-spam question during registration needs to be updated. The "correct" answer is no longer correct and is probably preventing folks from registering if they can't think outside the box.
2one8
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie from MN

Postby pchast » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:19 pm

Welcome. :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Wed May 18, 2022 11:56 am

2one8 wrote:Also, the anti-spam question during registration needs to be updated. The "correct" answer is no longer correct and is probably preventing folks from registering if they can't think outside the box.

That's hilarious. What was the question? I suspect most of us who have been here more than a couple years don't remember.

There was an "ownership" change last fall. For the most part we haven't seen much of a difference at all in the day to day interface, although they did switch to a secure server so the devices we all use to log in on no longer freak out about it each time.

Welcome to the nuthouse! I have found this to be one of the most fun and friendly forums I have ever been involved with. Three or so years in here I can still count on about half of one hand the number of people who have come off as an a$$. There is a wide range of interest and skill here. Reading through some of the build threads, the quality of work is just stunning. Guessing from your user name you must be "up Nort" as that is the area code there. I grew up in Duluth but now live near the MN Fairgrounds.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby 2one8 » Mon May 23, 2022 8:34 am

rjgimp wrote:
2one8 wrote:Also, the anti-spam question during registration needs to be updated. The "correct" answer is no longer correct and is probably preventing folks from registering if they can't think outside the box.

That's hilarious. What was the question? I suspect most of us who have been here more than a couple years don't remember.

There was an "ownership" change last fall. For the most part we haven't seen much of a difference at all in the day to day interface, although they did switch to a secure server so the devices we all use to log in on no longer freak out about it each time.

Welcome to the nuthouse! I have found this to be one of the most fun and friendly forums I have ever been involved with. Three or so years in here I can still count on about half of one hand the number of people who have come off as an a$$. There is a wide range of interest and skill here. Reading through some of the build threads, the quality of work is just stunning. Guessing from your user name you must be "up Nort" as that is the area code there. I grew up in Duluth but now live near the MN Fairgrounds.

Yessir, I'm in Brainerd.

The question asks what year it was 10 years ago, but hadn't been updated since last year. I would hope most people just think to start moving through the years until they find the right now, but we all know how common common sense is these days.

I have found a lot of information here, but unfortunately a lot of the big collaboration and sticky'd threads are from years ago and the photos or links are no longer valid. Quite a bit of stuff I was excited to find a thread about it, only to find the photos and links no longer worked. But, my build is well underway and going well, and will hopefully be finished or near finished after Memorial Weekend.
2one8
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rjgimp » Tue May 24, 2022 11:54 pm

Yes, in the early years of this forum the vast majority used photobucket as a platform to store and share photos from but there was a, uhhmmm... "attitude" change there and all of a sudden they decided to charge a ridiculous amount of money for what had once been free. As a result many of those photos unfortunately never made it out of the photobucket server alive. Somehow some of them did but they still have the photobucket watermark plastered across them.

I am finally on the cusp of starting my build. I am going for a 7'x14' standy foamie, either a bread loaf or canned ham, on a 1969-ish Steury popup frame. There is an enormous quantity of knowledge here and I am grateful to have it at my disposal. Yes it is unfortunate that there is no longer any ability to ask follow up questions of some folks.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves