Newbie in eastern North Carolina

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie in eastern North Carolina

Postby Lgboro » Mon May 05, 2008 9:30 pm

I already owe the forum members for the massive amount of info and pictures that I have benefited from to date. Many thanks. You guys certainly set the bar high with many of the exceptional builds I have viewed while lurking around and planning a tear build. My name is Larry Justice and live on a small lake near Goldsboro, North Carolina. I bought and rebuilt a Shasta Camper in 1966 (at 16) that had been sitting up and had some rot from sitting. I'll have to say that the restoration dwarfs compared to the planning and the upcoming build of a teardrop. In recent years I have done my camping on river banks while canoing on various whitewater rivers in the Southeast. A tear should seem like a palace after spending more than a few nights sleeping under a canoe or occasionally in a small tent. So far I have purchased a used camper door and 2 windows (one I put in the door), a trailer from Tractor Supply, a 2 burner gas stove top, a small sink, and ordered a dog house climate system. I have the door cut to size and rebuilt waiting for the inside and outside skin. In the past I carved birds and built scale ship models as one of my hobbies. Hopefully, I can transfer those skills to the tear. Will try to post pics soon (I build computers but have done little with pictures and manipulating them). Hope I will be a positive addition to the forum in the near future.
Lgboro
500 Club

Postby Mary K » Mon May 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Welcome Larry.

You are lucky to live in a beautiful part of the country and should have great adventures Teardrop camping the Blueridge Mnts.

Make sure you take lots of pictures for us. We love to watch a teardrop build in progress. :thumbsup: Keep us posted.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Tue May 06, 2008 12:41 am

Welcome Larry and welcome to the forum. It looks like you already have the drive and skills to easilly build a teardrop trailer to your liking. You have many of the proper items required to complete your project, now all you have to do is pull it all together. Remember, building a teardrop is simply a number of different and often self-fulfilling steps to make the finish product look like what you have pictured in your mind. Go for it.

I had no idea what my tear would look like when I began bolting lumber to the frame and slapping a sheet of plywood down for the floor. Use your imagination and create any design, shape and material use that your mind dictates. That is what makes this teardrop world so exciting. Follow your dream, keep designing and re-designing and one day, when all is said and done, you will be a proud owner of a fine trailer that many will be admiring and questioning you about just exactly how it came about.

Many of us have been where you are, and so far, you have a leg up on many of us, since you already have some of the parts required to actually build the trailer of your dreams. Good for you. Now, the important part.

Take lots of pics as you go along, you won't be able to do it again, once it is finished. Next, you just have to come to some of our gatherings and display your creation, meet the friendly teardroppers and tell lies around the night-time campfires. Once again, glad you found us, keep us informed of your progress and hopefully we'll see you in a campsite in the near future. (Oh yes, post pics as progress continues)
Roly, So Cal Woody guy. :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby wthile » Tue May 06, 2008 12:05 pm

I am also in Eastern NC ok central I guess... Just southeast of raleigh abotu 30 mins.

Good luck...

William
wthile
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves